DROP SHIPPING ethical?

Many people dont really know what it is, I and many other Sellers place stock orders and we quote same day delivery because we have it on our shelves. A customer places an order, we take it off the warehouse shelf, pack it and post it immediately.

Drop Shipping is:

1. Stock advertised as 3-6 business days delivery. (No Seller Stock on Hand).

2. When you place your order, the Seller places an order with his wholesaler. (No Cost to Seller).

3. The Wholesaler posts the goods straight to the Buyer. (No warehousing for Seller).

4. The Seller pockets the difference between wholesale and retail prices.

5. No Corporate ethics or responsibilities. With a usually lengthier delivery period.

No stock, no risk for the seller, no warehousing, no outlay of capital, just "free" money for the Seller.

Now, the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Comission) frowns on this practice and I am suggesting that eBay is an innocent 3rd party in this matter, now here is my question:

Would you rather buy from someone in Australia that has the stock on their shelves or would you prefer a Drop Shipper?

D.K.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

I would rather buy Australian, period.

(Loathe drop shipping, too many potential problems for all concerned)

image host

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Not all drop shippers are overseas.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

@daddykool-123 wrote:

Many people dont really know what it is, I and many other Sellers place stock orders and we quote same day delivery because we have it on our shelves. A customer places an order, we take it off the warehouse shelf, pack it and post it immediately.

Drop Shipping is:

1. Stock advertised as 3-6 business days delivery. (No Seller Stock on Hand).

2. When you place your order, the Seller places an order with his wholesaler. (No Cost to Seller).

3. The Wholesaler posts the goods straight to the Buyer. (No warehousing for Seller).

4. The Seller pockets the difference between wholesale and retail prices.

5. No Corporate ethics or responsibilities. With a usually lengthier delivery period.

No stock, no risk for the seller, no warehousing, no outlay of capital, just "free" money for the Seller.

Now, the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Comission) frowns on this practice and I am suggesting that eBay is an innocent 3rd party in this matter, now here is my question:

Would you rather buy from someone in Australia that has the stock on their shelves or would you prefer a Drop Shipper?

D.K.

I buy quite a lot of Stock from China and resell it Directly from Australia. I mention in my listings "Item Is Posted From Adelaide South Australia NOT China so you should receive your item in a few days not weeks." I usually have to wait up to 3 maybe 4 weeks to receive my items from China but I always make sure I have plenty on stock in hand and at a point I will re-order. Drop shipping I tried and I dont like it..

This is just my thoughts

Paddy

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

I would rather buy Australian, period.

(Loathe drop shipping, too many potential problems for all concerned)

image host
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

There is nothing unethical about dropshipping, in and of itself. What is unethical is when seller's aren't up front about it, and do things like present their items as being located in Australia. 

If you look at the bigger picture, you'll see that dropshipping carries quite a high risk for the seller - they are responsible for everything (to the buyer), but in control of virtually nothing - that's the trade-off for little to no capital investment. I have seen businesses completely destroyed by a wholesaler letting the seller down. Of course, the seller has responsibilities - even more so if they are a registered Australian busines, the fact that their product is shipped directly from overseas doesn't suddenly mean their customers have fewer consumer rights.

If a seller imports their products then lists it, at the end of the day (money-wise) there isn't a great deal of difference to a dropshipper, (list it, then import it, some money changes hands between all the same parties, except customs duties may be avoided since multiple smaller shipments are incoming as opposed to one large one, and in that way a dropshipped price may be lower than if the seller imported the stock first).

I personally would not drop ship, I prefer to have much more control over my business stock etc, and as for buying preferences, if the product has to be imported either way, I don't care who I buy it from unless I need it really quickly. 

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

saarzi
Community Member

ugh.  

Dropshipping is sending something direct from a third party wholesaler to a customer. Thats it.   It has ZERO to do with advertised delivery times (many drop ship wholesalers post same day, or by courier!). and ZERO to do with what country the seller, buyer, or wholesaler is in (many are located in the SAME country as buyer and seller!).  It also has ZERO to do with whether or not the seller has their own warehouse, and whether or not they are ethical!

Secondly, companies in Australia who dropship ABSOLUTELY have legal risk in terms of the item, the postage etc etc, the same as any other company and any other way of doing business.

Also,  Buyer places order with seller, seller places order with wholesaler, wholesaler posts to buyer - is the kindergarten BASICS of dropshipping. Sellers can have contracts with supplier warehouses for shipping, or for a set number of items being available to them, or even for branding the products and/or packaging before its posted to the buyer - The item is still going direct from third party warehouse to buyer.

Also, many major retailers in Australia use dropshipping. This includes, The Reject Shop, Fujitsu, hewlett packard and Dell (yes, DELL)... among hundreds of others. I know of these ones specifically, because I worked with each of them directly as a consultant (in relation to technology, supply chain and service delivery).

The ACCC does NOT frown on dropshipping  - many, many major retailers depend on it - its a normal part of business. Most people dont realise this because its often not obvious to day to day customers... partly because its regularly used for parts and accessories, or special orders, corporate orders, etc etc, but also because dropshippers are often in the same country as the buyer seller, and some will even brand the package as per seller requirements, so usually buyers are none the wiser (this is completely normal and not illegal or frowned upon by any aussie department whatsoever).  Not having warehouses for every single item and every single part of every item a retailer has, is common these days.

What the ACCC frowns upon are ANY seller, including dropshippers, who are acting unethically, misrepresenting their goods (such as counry of origin or make - drop shipping alone is not a misrepresentation of anything), and those who have poor knowledge of the process, risk and responsibilities, placing the risk onto their customers.

If you dont like dropshipping, do your research and dont buy from companies who dropship (which is most of them).

If you have an issue with dodgy sellers *on EBay* that are dropshipping from other retailers and misrepresenting products locations, where they were made, or shipping times, dont blame dropshipping as a whole. Its like blaming the entire population for one idiot, and it just sounds ignorant. 

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

I was on Ebay looking for a wall bracket for our TV today. The amount of sellers that are supposedly in Australia but are not really is terrible. In item location it says, say as an example, Sydney Australia, but when you click on their name it states the seller is based in China so of course it is going to take longer to be delivered and I dont want to buy stuff like that from overseas, more chance of damage the longer it has to travel.

One seller even has the audacity to have AU STOCK written on their photo but click on their name, they are based in China. How can sellers get away with that. It's wrong and Ebay should stop it from happening.

I only found out accidently today that if you click on the sellers name it tells you where the seller is really located. That, I will be doing everytime from now on when I go to buy something.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

Sometimes they are based in China but have a warehouse in Sydney. Not all of them that say they have AU stock are dodgy. Sometimes it is actually in Australia.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

Thats good to know tippytoe but I dont understand why they are not honest and upfront. I dont mind anyone using dropshipping, I would just like to know where my item is actually coming from so if I am in a hurry for something, I know then to locate someone close to home and I shouldnt have to delve deep to find out
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

DROP SHIPPING ethical?

I've found most of the time if you check the under the shipping tab, it will say that it's being posted via Australia Post if the item is actually in Australia. I don't think you can select Aust Post if you are posting from overseas. Some that say they are in AU will often accept bank deposit and will leave the bank details in the listing description. If it's an Australian bank then the item is probably here.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply