Fee Structure

surfajo
Community Member

I haven't used EBay for quite a while, so when I put an item up for sale ($845) I wasn't surprisedthat I wasn't getting many offers. It is a very specific item that only a few people would want / need. After many months of no bites, I finally got an offer of $500 which I accepted. What really stung was the fee EBay charged - ($62.70). That was something like about 12%. Disgusting. The item was quite heavy (6kg) and cost me $40 to post. So out of my $500, I end up with about $390. Bloody disgrace.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Fee Structure

fees have been at or around 13.5% for ages.

Your mistake is not checking before selling, and accepting the offer.

Holding out for a higher offer would, of course, mean a higher fee . . . but you would have ended up with more in your pocket.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Fee Structure

As said, the fees have been the same for quite some time

And a lot has changed since you last sold, hopefully you have read up so there are no more 'surprises' 

At least you have fully singed up for Managed Payments and are aware that eBay see you as a new seller and as such will hold all funds for up to 30days until you prove yourself again

And will apply to all your current listings

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Fee Structure

You've been here since 2006 and are hardly a newbie. Have you taken any time to read through the updated seller sections at all? Do you know your funds will be now held for approx 30 days since you are an intermittent seller under the Managed Payments system?

1) Why did you offer free postage?

2) Since you did, why not box up your item, take it to a PO and get an idea of the weight BEFORE you list it. Even if you were prepared to subsidise it, at least get an idea of what you'd be up for in the first place. $40 is a lot of money to give away simply because you didn't do your homework first.

2) How can you not know what the fees are as they are displayed in the help section - hardly a mystery! 

You are the one who is totally in control of the final sale price and costs. I personally think the 13.4% FVF is very reasonable, considering the worldwide reach you get. You didn't need to accept the offer that was given. You could definitely have held out for more - there's no cost to list, so you could have just waited until a better offer came along. 

Alternatively, you could have advertised the item on Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree. You would have had just as many tyre kickers, but you would have avoided fees. In fact, you could have done both and if the item sold on FB, you could have just removed it from Ebay. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply