Fees

jllgbf
Community Member

I would love to know why my item was listed for free and now they are charging me a fee this is not fair if this keeps up i will be forced  to close my account which i had for a lot of years and who is in charge no info at all what happened to EBAY where do i go for answers in the past i would ring someone now zilch .

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Fees

Do you mean a Final Value Fee?

Sellers are charged a FVF when an item is sold on eBay.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Fees

Thank you for the come back but it said advertise for free otherwise  i would have listed it differently plus maybe i was wrong but i advertised it starting $100 buy it now $200 it was ok then it changed some how weird to me cheers and thanks.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Fees

The OP should be like Bobby McFerrin.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Fees

OP, eBay will let you LIST for free, but that's not the same as being required to pay a fee if the item sells.

You were clearly not told that you'd have $0 FVF. eBay doesn't do that; it's a business. Did you truly not realise that you'd have to pay a fee when the item sold?

Fees for auction-style listings

• It's generally free to list items. (Some limits and exclusions apply)
  • You'll be charged a final value fee after the sale
  • There are also fees for optional listing features and supplemental services

For full details of eBay fees, see:

You should read the following two Help pages which contain this relevant information:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions?id=4110

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees-without-ebay-store?id=4822

And furthermore, as was explained on your other thread, listing with a Buy It Now price is not the same as listing with a reserve price. eBay Australia doesn't allow reserve prices, actually. The BIN price is a price that allows an impatient buyer (who can't wait until the item ends) to buy on the spot before waiting for the end of the auction, at the price that you've specified as the BIN price. It isn't a reserve price, and it disappears the instant that someone places a bid on the item.

This is all clearly explained in the relevant eBay Help pages. Did you not read through those pages before listing?

❝You can add a Buy It Now price to an auction listing, and it will be shown until the first bid is placed. The Buy It Now price has to be at least 30% higher than the auction starting price❞

READ:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions?id=4110 (This one you'll already have read - or should have - as I linked to it above), and

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/listings/selling-buy-now?id=4109

That's not even going in to the whole matter of Managed Payments. I don't know whether you've registered for Managed Payments, so in the interests of being sure you're aware of what's involved, I will assume you have not registered yet.

Selling on eBay is a very different animal to how it was five or six years ago. Are you certain you have registered as a new seller? You'll be seen by eBay as a new seller, as you have not sold regularly during the last six months, so your funds will (even in the best scenario) be held for at least 21 days - and you won't get your funds AT ALL unless you are verified for Managed Payments. That requires two distinct steps: one to verify your ID (by showing eBay your driver licence or passport) and secondly to verify your bank account - either by logging in directly with your bank credentials through a portal on eBay, or by using the microdeposit method. It's explained in the link below:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/registering-seller?id=4792

If you choose not to read the other Help pages about selling on eBay, you will lack vital information about how to manage being a seller in quite a challenging environment. I'd urge you to read those pages.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Fees

It will keep up because you need to pay the fees you owe like everyone else

You have been answered by other members on every post you make and have ignored us every time except for this thread 

Good idea to close your account since you clearly have zero idea of how eBay works as a seller, nor any willingness to learn/read/listen to other members

As you say, you have been here a lot of years so there is no excuse not to know the most very basic of things

You don't need to ring eBay, they are not going to give you special treatment because you don't know what you are doing

Free to list NOT free to sell

Plenty of info, you need to read it, understand it and read it again

Not tick you have read and understood when it it very very clearly you have done neither 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Fees

Yes, items are LISTED for free, just as you said. They are not SOLD for free, unless ebay has a promo, which they've not had for years.

Might be best if you do force yourself to close your account, because you clearly have no idea how things work. Your anxiety levels are just going to escalate each time you sell something and it's not worth it.

Oh, and by the way, ebay won't give a single hoot if you threaten to close your account, or even if you do. You are absolutely nothing to them. Zero, zip, zilch. They don't even know you exist, so any threats are pointless.

I can guarantee we can look at your account in 12 months time and it will still be active. People threaten to leave all the time, thinking if they do, ebay will shut down. Yet, they never do funnily enough.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Fees

I suggest you try market place or Gumtree, it's free over there, but then you will come back and complain about the scammers, window shoppers, and time wasters.  Oh and those that don't want to pay anywhere near a reasonable price..

Don't slam the door on the way out

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Fees

@jllgbf wrote:

Thank you for the come back but it said advertise for free otherwise  i would have listed it differently plus maybe i was wrong but i advertised it starting $100 buy it now $200 it was ok then it changed some how weird to me cheers and thanks.

I and several others explained how auctions work.

Buy it now is NOT a reserve. You've been told that. What part of it don't you understand?

It is not a reserve. Most ebay auctions cannot be listed with a reserve. You have a starting price & you might have a buy it now price, but that buy it now price will disappear once someone makes a bid & let me assure you most first bidders will.. make a bid lower than your buy it now price. Why wouldn't they? They know how auctions work and they hope that even with other bids, they might be able to nab it for under your top price. 

I once bid on an item that was $50 with a buy it now of $170. That disappeared as I put in a bid for up to $80. Mine was the only bid though so I got it for $50.

When ebay has special offers, you have to read the fine print carefully.

Yes, you can often list for free on ebay, but when you sell, that's a different ballgame as you pay a fee or commission to ebay upon the sale. How else do you think they stay in business?

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply