Getting paid

dado6908
Community Member

How does everyone feel about eBay holding funds, undoubtedly to be invested by them, for them, on short-term money market? They take their overblown commissions, contributing nothing to the process apart from extremely flawed, greedy & unilaterally applied agency duties, & now refuse to transfer my net proceeds; this is NOT an initial transaction 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Getting paid

eBay are barred, by law, from investing held funds in any way.

I feel that it is something you agreed to when you ticked the box saying you had read and understood the terms and conditions.

Disclaimer - my funds aren't held because I have enough recent sales to not trigger the hold. Maybe that could be an option for you.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

Personally I think it is an excellent approach to protect all of us regular sellers,.  Looking at your sales history you will be treated as a new seller,  and you did tick the I agree with the Terms and Conditions button,  which I guess you read.

And as Dave said,  they cant invest it on the short term money market.

Commissions seem reasonable as well,   maybe you should try setting up a sales platform and see what it costs you.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

Oh and PS I don't work or get any benefits from Ebay,  but I do pay their reasonable commissions.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

I'd be more concerned about the false positives you left for 2 buyers. Clearly by the message you left, your beef was with ebay, not the buyer. This is one of the reasons ebay stopped sellers from being able to leave negs for buyers. You would have negged those 2, when they'd done nothing wrong.

As for the fees, you've got some nice stuff. Take it to an auction house and see what you get charged in fees. I can tell you now, it will be way more than 13.9%. Maybe go old school and advertise in the paper. You'd need to sell several kidneys and 3 livers to pay for that.

I'm happy to pay the 13.9% because if I choose, I can have worldwide exposure (which I don't choose), or at the very least, nationwide exposure. My sales have been slow this last year, so when I do make a sale, my funds are held, despite being a seller for a good 15 years.

I have no issues with that. In the past, I have seen sellers set up an account, advertise 3,000 Makita drills for $20 each, normally sell for a few hundred, with immediate payment, sold out in 48 hours. Buyers think they have scored a bargain, so madly buy. By the time they realise they have been scammed, the seller is long gone with his ill gotten gains. While the holds don't completely prevent that from happening, it's certainly slowed things down significantly for the scammers.

You will get your money. Assuming you are signed up and verified for Managed Payments.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

If they donโ€™t maximise their corporate benefit, legally or not,  wrt my money, They charge commission on postage - theyโ€™re not a registered post office, pretty sure earning income from service thatโ€™s not there may test authorities

I sell as it goes, not a business  - their pathetic excuse is that โ€œitโ€™s first piece of furniture sold, they need to verifyโ€; that is a scam & full details are going to Consumer Affairs, ASIC, media 

You do you, ie support club that keeps Colombia afloat, Iโ€™ll be me

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

Protect you from what, quality items? 

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

Sorry, you agreed to the terms when you listed

And making up 'eBay invest the money' is not only nonsense, but the go to for everyone who thinks the policy they agreed to won't really apply to them

Why go ahead with the listing at all?

Nobody is forced to sell on eBay

When you chose to do so, the policy really, actually does apply 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

1) Ebay charges commission on postage to prevent sellers from selling $1000 items for $1 plus $999 postage.  Pretty simple.

2) The reason for holding funds is to prevent sellers from scamming people and turning buyers away from the platform.  As a legitimate seller I for one am grateful that Ebay takes such measures to ensure the health of the platform I've invested years in.

3) None of this is a scam.  All of it is documented.  All of it was agreed to by you.  

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Getting paid

1. I charge only Australia Post rates;

2. There are mountains of sales of items for $60 & $200 postage, so thatโ€™s simply another area where eBayโ€™s โ€œwonderfulโ€ policies are a bust;

3. My item, brilliant burr walnut table set (do you have any idea what that is?), was picked up by the customer, loved it then, loves it more now, has told eBay exactly that, so, again, what precisely are they policing?

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply