Having problems with the App? - Read this

There is a new technology on the horizon called PWA (Progressive Web Applications) which should solve a lot of the problems we currently have with the ebay app once it becomes widespread. In fact the app as we know it could soon become obsolete.

Just type PWA into Google search and you'll get a lot of good (if lengthy) explanations but I can sum it up briefly:

This tech allows conventional websites to run like mobile apps on mobile devices of any type and on any platform or OS and in any browser.

It's related to responsive site development where a user on a mobile device is automatically served an XML version of a website.

Small scripts called Service Workers are downloaded and stored in cache on the mobile device.

These will be able to "call" other functions as needed so there is no longer a limitation on app size as the scripts themselves are just a few lines of code.

There will also be an option to pin the PWA designed site to a mobile desktop and it will then run like an installed native app.

A big benefit is that once loaded, these PWA's can operate without a data connection (at least in part) so will not crash in mobile blackspots.

The days of having to go into your app store to download and install an app for a website will be a thing of the past.

eBay are probably already looking into it as it significantly reduces development costs and users won't have to download site apps at all.

All development will be done on the main website and there will be no further need to maintain separate android and iOS apps so there will be a good few app developers looking for new gigs.

The implication for us is that, if eBay will no longer need to maintain separate apps, then they will be disinclined to throw big development dollars at the exisitng android and iOS ones.

As such, don't expect them to do much more in further app development than minor upgrades for maintenance.

When I say PWA is on the horizon I should note that the horizon is very close to us.

Magento 2.3 is due out sometime mid 2018 and will support PWA architecture right out of the box.

This is a pretty big deal in the mobile online world and you should be seeing sites begging you to "Pin" them very soon now.

Message 1 of 1
Latest reply
0 REPLIES 0