Help! How do give a discount on an invoice?

genrel
Community Member

Ok, I've been here for yonks but I have rarely needed to offer a discount because a buyer has overpay on postage. Confused? A buyer contacted me to say he was bidding on multiple items. I said that's fine, thinking he understood it would be calculated after the last purchase. Apparently he didn't understand this and sent a payment after two items had completed with double the postage. So I emailed him again and explained what I should have said originally and I would deduct the overpayment at the end. Well the last item finished and I went to deduct the overpayment on the seller discount line only to find it won't accept it. It keeps telling me to enter an amount less than $0.00????? I'm using a - sign in front of the amount. What am I doing wrong...it shouldn't be this difficult.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When you enter the postage amount do not click on recalculate just send it.

The other way is to just use the issue refund on one of their other payments to the amount you want to refund them.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

You will need to refund some of the postage from the first amount he paid untill you get the amount you want him to pay and then offer free postage on the rest. so if he's paid $20 for postage and it will cost you $12 to send it refund $8 and then do free postage on the others and don't forget that paypal take 30c per transaction so every transaction he has done will cost you 30c

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

genrel
Community Member

I tried that sparklz, it just don't work. I think I'll just have to do a partial refund. I still have no idea how this discount line is suppose to work.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Sorry i forgot to tell you. The refund can be done buy pressing on the view paypal transaction and the giving what you owe him back BUT remember to put the amount in don't just press refund or you will give him the full amount back

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay will only let you give a discount on the postage not the amount they paid for the item

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

genrel
Community Member

Yep, I'll be doing just that. Many thanks.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

genrel
Community Member

Ok, all done. Hopefully back on track. Thanks I-b-a-mad-loco. I've done partial refunds before but for some reason I thought it was possible to make a deduction on the invoice but I can now see that is only if the buyer is paying for postage which this buyer isn't. Anyway, I've got my head around it...many thanks again.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply