Hi is ok for someone to buy an item from me then resell (no problems with that ) but using my phot

Hi buying & reselling no problems but using my photos & my description ??

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Hi is ok for someone to buy an item from me then resell (no problems with that ) but using my

You can ask the seller to not use your photo's and description, especially if you are still selling a similar item.

But if it was a one of, then I wouldn't bother.

In the past eBay's function of "sell this item" in purchase history would bring up the pics n description from the original listing by that seller. Now I don't think that happens but some members may have used it in the past and think it's the norm.

So really eBay has promoted this practise.

image host
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Re: Hi is ok for someone to buy an item from me then resell (no problems with that ) but using my

@alpescene20wrote:

Hi buying & reselling no problems but using my photos & my description ??

I am testing my memory a bit here, and others probably have a better memory than me, but I recall some changes to the eBay User Agreement that says something about images used in listings are to be made available through eBay catalogue (for other members to use).

I will look around and see if I can find the policy, but in the meantime someone else may come forward with more help.

If you contact your re-selling buyer about the description they are likely to make some minor changes so that it is no longer the same as your description for the item.

edit: what I have found is:

https:q//sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SR17-1/catalogue-enhancements

While your re-selling buyer probably did not source your pics through eBay catalogue, the policy probably makes it harder for sellers like yourself to complain to eBay and get an outcome that is satisfactory for yourself with regards to use of your pics.

My advice to all sellers is to watermark your pics in a way that others are less likely to use them. If they use them then your watermark will show.

eBay did introduce a policy that required the removal of all added text and watermarks from pics, but have since announced that that policy will not be enforced.

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/201712.shtml#2017-12-01101535

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Keep looking, Slr.

I seem to remember they back pedalled on that one.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

edit:

https:q//sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SR17-1/catalogue-enhancements  should have been

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/SR17-1/catalogue-enhancements

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5wrote:

In the past eBay's function of "sell this item" in purchase history would bring up the pics n description from the original listing by that seller. 

I have used that function a couple of times over the years, but it only ever copied the title, item specifics and category that it was listed in, never the images or description (i.e. if it copied over the latter two, it would have to have been more than 8 years ago). 

eBay's current policy is indeed that any images a seller uploads can be added to eBay's catalogue, and if it is in the catalogue, it may be selected by anyone to use.

That, however, does not mean anyone can just take your images without permission. By uploading images to eBay, you grant eBay permissions, but not anyone else, so if the pics aren't in eBay's catalogue, other members should not be using them without permission. It's 50/50 on whether eBay will act on a report for images, though. 

The description, however, is even less debateable than images - if you feel strongly enough about it to ask them to remove your images and description, and they decline, you can file a report for the infringement via the link below.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/selling-policies/intellectual-property-vero-p...

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

alpescene20,

just had a quick look (from a buyers perspective), and saw that you don't really have any descriptions in your listings.

So I wouldn't worry at all that someone else is using it.

Same for the pictures,  they are plentyful, but  (I can only speak for myself here) I would find it very dificult to actually buy anything as they don't really show what  any of that stuff looks like when worn.

Not worth even reporting the new seller, let alone going to the trouble to have a Vero protection on copyright.

Am not sure, but I think that is what one has to do these days to stop other people using your material.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Not our pics, but we've noticed parts thereof our descriptions used by others and in some instances our history descriptions ver batim. But then, in some instances we've scrounged bits and pieces from various sources too in circumstances where our own knowledge is incomplete. But, there's a lot of time involved putting it together in one cohesive narrative. Perhaps that's what they're 'stealing' - time!

We look at it this way, if you put it out in the public domain, for sure and certain if someone likes it, or they're just lazy, they'll use it.

theyre are some protections, I know, but generally I think when you put something in the public domain, unless it's copyrighted, it becomes public domain property.

It can be annoying I guess, but we just move on. Who knows really, who is using your stuff, for what reason and where. You'll go nuts chasing it down.

My take.

Melina.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@Melina - intellectual property is automatically copyrighted upon creation, so when it is uploaded to the internet, it maintains all of the protections of that unless specifically and intentionally released into the public domain, or with a CC license ( CC = creative commons, and there's a few different types, some allow commercial use, some don't allow modifications while others do, and some require attribution.

I know that there are risks inherent in content being uploaded publicly, but those risks are from people who either don't know or don't care that content remains protected regardless. (Not trying to argue or anything, I just frequently post the info as I think it's important).

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

just to add to what digi has said - there seems to be a lot of belief that copyright has to be applied for and granted in australia whereas that is not the case.

there's a stack of myths surrounding copyright in australia and how it works and this page has some handy summaries of those myths and the actual truths. 

https://www.copyright.com.au/about-copyright/copyright-myths/

all of that being said, don't think for a second that ebay will necessarily enforce any form of copyright you take claim to. i dare say it'd have to be dealt with in a court setting - but you can always message any violators and let them know that's your next course of action :]

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply