How do I send a WATCH in the mail?

artforartssake
Community Member

What is the QUICKEST and SAFEST way to send an expensive WATCH (value: approx. $1,000) through the mail?

Do I need any sort of insurance or does Aust Post cover that?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

At that value .... I would go Platinum Express ...... requires signature on delivery, and gives you so much cover.  Buy extra insurance cover from them.  Probably cost around $25.00 all up, maybe a bit more.  Keep all Aus Post documents ...... you'll get a tracking tag and lodgement docket. Keep them with your receipt.  Check with your Auspost staff first .... but I think this is the best way to go.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Oh and for what it's worth.  I take a snapshot of the sale details from MyEbay Sold, print it out, and get the post office to stamp it, as record of posted.  Keep your dockets with this page.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Great idea thanks,

however i guess it wouldn't really matter if it took a few more days i.e. wouldn't need to be overnight delivery

so are there cheaper options that take a few more days but still have the same safety and security features?

Photobucket
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

i hope you are not sending it overseas? if so be very very careful.

I would insure as stated above to have the best protection. There are lots of scammers out there.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

If you process the label via eBay or Click and Send, you can purchase a label for a 500g standard parcel (a bit over $7), then add the same options - signature on delivery and insurance. The insurance is what will cost the most, because it's $1.50 per $100 value (or part thereof).

So, $7.45 (from memory, for a non-eBay satchel parcel)

+ $2.95 signature on delivery

+ $15.00 insurance

$25.50 for regular, platinum express would actually be quite a bit more. 

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Great idea thanks

Sorry forgot to mention that it will be LOCAL only, not overseas

Photobucket
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

We send items of around $500 in value on occasion and post them in much the same manner as Digital describes. Never had any problems so far, touch wood.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Thanks, but if I do as Digital suggests, do I still need to go into an AP outlet to buy the posting box?

Do I then just print off the label and stick it on the box with sticky tape? And then do I need to go into the AP outlet again to hand it in over the counter (wouldn't want to drop it into a box as it may break on the way down!)

Excuse my ignorance, but I've never done "click and send" before via self-service!

Photobucket
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@artforartssake wrote:

Thanks, but if I do as Digital suggests, do I still need to go into an AP outlet to buy the posting box?

Do I then just print off the label and stick it on the box with sticky tape? And then do I need to go into the AP outlet again to hand it in over the counter (wouldn't want to drop it into a box as it may break on the way down!)

Excuse my ignorance, but I've never done "click and send" before via self-service!

Good heavens, if a parcel is not packed well enough to withstand being dropped into a post box it is very unlikely to arrive undamaged.

That aside....I would strongly advise going into the post office and handing the item over the counter and buying signature on delivery and extra cover on an item that expensive.

It is a recipe for disaster to cut corners.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply