How does selling work?

I'm new to ebay, and I was trying to sell my old laptop, someone gave me an offer for 900, and i sold it, but he hasn't paid me yet, do I have to wait until he pays me to send the package? Also Is it normal for his profile to say he's based in the UK but when i tried sending him an invoice it said to send it to California? Thanks

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

How does selling work?

New sellers of higher priced items are often seeked out by scammers.

I suspect that is the case.

If it has been 4 days, open an unpaid item case which gives the buyer a further 4 days to pay and if they don't then close the case.

Buyer will get a strike, you get a fee credit and you are free to relist.

If the buyer pays, make sure you send with insurance.

Next time, better to list these types of items locally only, no international postage.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

How does selling work?

Smells like a scam in the making.

I assume you have signed up and are ID verified for the new Managed Payments system?

As you are new, you will have to wait around 30 days once a buyer has paid to get the funds into your bank account. There is no more Paypal for sellers.

Did you make the laptop available within Australia only? I would definitely not be sending a laptop overseas - this sounds like a problem that will come back to bite you. If you did not intend to send overseas, then I'm sure you have not provided the correct postage, so even if the buyer was to pay, the postage would be too little.

Instead of waiting for the buyer to pay,  just cancel the sale (use "problem with buyers address" as the reason) and then relist it and block the buyer. If it was a Buy It Now item, you can tick the "Immediate Payment" required button, so that a buyer has no choice but to pay right away if they want it. Also, bear in mind that any sale over $750 must be sent with Signature on Delivery.

As @kopenhagen says, you are a magnet for scammers. You don't really know what you're doing and you're going to lose your laptop and your money. I don't think Ebay is the place to be selling these kinds of items anymore - there are just to many scammers out there.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

How does selling work?

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Smells like a scam in the making.

I assume you have signed up and are ID verified for the new Managed Payments system?

As you are new, you will have to wait around 30 days once a buyer has paid to get the funds into your bank account. There is no more Paypal for sellers.

Did you make the laptop available within Australia only? I would definitely not be sending a laptop overseas - this sounds like a problem that will come back to bite you. If you did not intend to send overseas, then I'm sure you have not provided the correct postage, so even if the buyer was to pay, the postage would be too little.

Instead of waiting for the buyer to pay,  just cancel the sale (use "problem with buyers address" as the reason) and then relist it and block the buyer. If it was a Buy It Now item, you can tick the "Immediate Payment" required button, so that a buyer has no choice but to pay right away if they want it. Also, bear in mind that any sale over $750 must be sent with Signature on Delivery.

As @kopenhagen says, you are a magnet for scammers. You don't really know what you're doing and you're going to lose your laptop and your money. I don't think Ebay is the place to be selling these kinds of items anymore - there are just to many scammers out there.

The buyer hasn't paid, why let them off with a cancellation, when you can do an unpaid dispute and give them a well deserve strike?

The last unpaid dispute I did, closure was nearly instant. No longer having to wait 4 days to close it. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

How does selling work?

A potential issue is that the "buyer" might pay, but with - for instance - a stolen credit card (or stolen credit card details).

I agree, though, that in a lot of cases, UID is the way to go.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply