May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Re: May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

With a basic store you will get 80 free a month

yeah thats BIN innit?

what about an extra 40 freebie auction listings?

Signatures suck.
Message 131 of 303
Latest reply

yeah thats BIN innit?

what about an extra 40 freebie auction listings?

No, everyone except store owners can access the 40 free listings.

Message 132 of 303
Latest reply

No, everyone except store owners can access the 40 free listings.

cheers DG, i wonder if you had a store for only certain times of the year you could still be eligible for the 40 freebies when you close your store?

Signatures suck.
Message 133 of 303
Latest reply

I'd say so, at least there's no stipulation that you can't have been a store holder in recent history, so you could well open a store for a couple of months, close it and auction off other things, then re-open it if you wanted to. 

If what you're going to be selling can classify as a collectible in any way, you can list those as a storeholder for free (they will count towards the 80 per month free if they're in the Collectible category, but will be charged at the $1.50 insertion fee if any other category), or for $1 if the 80 have all been used.

Message 134 of 303
Latest reply

Does anyone know if free the listings start with the calender month or the store sign up date? Need to rethink May relists.

The free listings count start on 1 May regardless of when your billing cycle starts any over/under payments will be credited to your May account

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 135 of 303
Latest reply

I currently have 25 listings ranging in price from $9.99 to $350.00. This is the no. of listings I try to have (except for the past few months when illness and relocation prevented me from listing. I can not afford to list at $9.99 anymore as I work on a 50% -75%  maximum markup. To sell an item at $350.00 it will cost me at least $45.00 when buyers use Paypal.

I am faced with a problem - keep listings to less than forty per month, quit ebaying, increase prices, take a market stall, stick to antique fairs or hold regular 'at home' antique garage sales for free.

Ebay needs to realise that retail, on line or shopfront, is suffering and start rewarding sellers who list more than 40 items a month, rather than penalising them to be able to offer occasional listers free listings in the hope that they will become 'hooked'  and gradually increase past 40.

As a GST registered seller I pray for more overseas buyers so that I don't have to collect GST!

Unfortunately overseas retail sectors are suffering as we are, so that way of cutting costs is pretty much gone.

WAKE  UP  EBAY - THE  BUYERS  ARE  NOT  THERE  AT  PRESENT,  ASK  ANY  AUCTION  HOUSE!

Message 136 of 303
Latest reply

You guys don't understand how the sociopaths running eBafia think;

I understand perfectly how those running ebay think. they think they will maximise things to make as much money for their shareholders as they can, if they didn't think like that they wouldn't stay in their jobs very long

Just like them I will make the best use I can of the new fee structure which is going to mean a definite reduction in fees fpr me across all three o my selling ids.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 137 of 303
Latest reply

I remember many changes that have had the boards in uproar, the PayPal only debarcle was a doozy. But as a casual/occasional seller only these current changes are not catastrophic for us. Besides the just getting myself organised bit!, auctions are fun and making a bit of money and making buyers happy - no upfront fees for up to 40 listings per month, start price equals the minimum $ we want plus 10-15% of that, and now we can also schedule start time at no extra cost.

I realise the changes are not good for everyone but I'm not thinking it's all over for the mum & dad ebay sellers just yet....?? 😛

Message 138 of 303
Latest reply

WHAT A JOKE, EBAY ARE JUST RUINING THE FUTURE OF HEAPS OF SELLERS THAT GET ZERO FROM EBAY ALREADY AND PUT UP WITH RULES AND REGULATIONS THAT DO NOTHING FOR SELLERS EXCEPT VICTIMISE THEM. NO FEEDBACK RIGHTS FROM BUYERS WHO JUST DONT REASON WITH ANY JUSTIFICATIONS FROM SELLERS.

WE HAVE 4 EBAY SITES AND SOON  MAY AS WELL HAVE NONE.

9.9% FVF AND A $250 CAP UP FROM $100 I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I THINK THE EBAY BUBBLE IS ABOUT TO BURST AFTER JUST STRAINING AFTER THE LAST 12 MOMTHS OR SO.

BRING ON SOME HEALTHY COMPETITION THAT EBAY CANT TOUCH

WE WILL GO FOR IT WITH BELLS ON.

HAD A GUTSFULL OF BEING RIPPED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 139 of 303
Latest reply

I realise the changes are not good for everyone but I'm not thinking it's all over for the mum & dad ebay sellers just yet....?? 😛

I know that not many sellers will not agree with the following, but, for some eBay sellers this may provide new opportunities.  For those that sell items that are not readily available or common on eBay there may end up being less sellers of those items.  For those that tough it out selling these items then there may be increased sales for them due to less sellers.  Also, if there are less sellers, then those that stay may be able to increase their prices to cover the increase in fees.  It might come down to supply vs demand, with less supply and constant demand driving final values upwards.

I, for one, will stick with selling occasionally.

Message 140 of 303
Latest reply