May 2013 Fee Structure Changes

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

eBay will be introducing a new fee structure on May 1, 2013.

For some sellers fees will be going up, while others will see notable reductions.  We encourage you to take the time to visit the newly launched Seller Centre to see how the changes will affect you (http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/fs5).

You will notice that to offset the fee change, we have worked to remove the major barriers to listing and have continued to reduce upfront fees to make selling on eBay easier and fairer. Most sellers should only be paying fees on an item after it sells – not before.

Your fees contribute to eBay’s ability to significantly invest in the overall experience for both sellers and buyers.  Enhancements on the buyer side of the equation are aimed squarely at driving traffic to your listings and ensuring the 7.3 million Australians who visit the site every month continue to do so. For example, investments in marketing, social media promotions and mobile commerce applications helped sellers to capture a greater share of online sales in 2012 and saw a 21% year on year increase of visits to eBay.

After reviewing the changes it should be clear that the new fee structure also encourages sellers to adopt the behaviours that we know buyers increasingly prefer (eg: fixed price over auction in some categories) – therefore increasing your chances of a successful sale.

In 2013 we will be working even harder to respond to the rapid pace of change in our industry and to ensure you are taken along on the journey. You will see a number of innovations announced in the coming months and throughout the year which support all of our sellers, no matter what their size or business aspirations.”

eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page
Message 1 of 303
Latest reply
302 REPLIES 302

Hi Marian, the only reason I was made a Power Seller was to ensure I couldn't access the 30 free listings a month...Sales have fallen slowly over the past few months, not sure yet what I will do, I love the auction ability on Ebay..shame they are shooting themselves in the foot....it's definitely becoming an Asian Mall like most of the physical markets around here too...and we are paying for the 'free shipping' from Asia as well with the constantly higher prices being charged by Australia Post...these changes will definitely make it more difficult to sell on the net anywhere

\

the reason anyone is made powerseller is because they sold at least 100 items for a total of $3,000 in past 12 mnths.

PSeller or not, come May 1 you will get 40 free listings a month, auction or BIN. so I dont get your 'shooting  themselves in the foot' comment. ?

oh, and the new PS level will be $1,000 pa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 231 of 303
Latest reply

10% is just GREEDY. Hope all sellers boycott Ebay, even if its just a week...

Message 232 of 303
Latest reply

I see the Australia Post vans are now Mercedes!

Now we are encouraged to post for free, or lose our `Top Rated Seller` status.

Sometimes the postage is the same price as the item!

The postage receipts last year from Your Display Gallery was $2800.00 which the purchaser pays when they purchase something. We don`t add anything on top of the Australia Post fee for postage, but do provide packaging for free and much time carefully wrapping/boxing/posting each item. How could we ever absorb that huge postage fee?

Although we have been designated a `Power Seller` and a `Top Rated Seller` we cannot leave DSR`s for our buyers. Buyers should have to carry their DSR ratings, as we do as sellers.

It may improve their conduct.

Regards  ydgonline06

Message 233 of 303
Latest reply

Party you have got it exactly right in fact a day may not be long enough. But a week and EBAY would be forced to respond. It the only way to make them take notice in the hip pocket

Message 234 of 303
Latest reply

Utterly disgusting and nothing but another money grab

These changes are not about providing anything for sellers ,except costing them even more money and giving those buyers that do the dodgey even more power and encouragement to keep doing it.

Ebay and Australia Post should go into business together,it would be a match made in heaven

Message 235 of 303
Latest reply

I have had several discussions with ebay about this on their facebook page. The same reply each time telling me how much better off my business will be.

I wont be listing much on Ebay Australia anymore. Instead i will use their American site but still a 300% increase in listing fees. Facebook, our website or other places.

I know other sites cant be mentioned here so if anyone could suggest sites please feel free to place them on my facebook page Wally Wombats Collectables

Ebay wont listen to us sellers but i hope they will rethink when sellers are selling elsewhere.

Wes

Message 236 of 303
Latest reply

@dave

You said this........................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any auction house. And they will take at least that from both the buyer and the seller.

You are free to list wherever you wish. Unfortunately eBay gets the traffic, thus the sales. I have more items listed, for less, on another free-to-list site. My annual sales there don't match my monthly sales here.

For me, I will downgrade to a basic store, my FVF will go down 0.4%, I will get 80 free listings. I reckon that puts me $35+ a month in front of the current situation.

.......................................................................................................................................

That is true auction houses do charge around 15-20 % and do charge the buyer a percentage the couple I go to charge 12 and the other 13 percent to the buyer but that does not effect the sellers pocket.

But they do everything for that money you just simply drop it off.

They have to pay rent on there premisis (genrally very large shed that are not cheap) where its stored up to 2 weeks or even longer if it dont sell the first time ,they catalogue it, shelve it, advertise it, list it on there website and auction it , Then pass it on to the buyer making absolutely certain it dont go missing and they deal with the buyer all for your 15-20% even cheaper for certain catagory stuff not to mention pay many wages for staff to handle it all. .

Now what exactly do ebay do, supply a page on a website and look for an out when something goes wrong. And there PP protection is no garrentee.

Now what do you have to do when listing on ebay, you have to fill out and advertise your own product then manage it yourself then you have to deal with the customer yourself then package and post it then deal with any complications and then they may even take the money of you if the buyer complains and demands a refund, This does not happen with auction houses. So basically they do very very little and leave it all for you to do and for that pathetic privalge they want a 14% cut for a webpage. Hmm

I beleive the people complaining ebay now is to expensive have a valid point.

Oh and one more thing at the last 10 auctions Ive been to in the last 3 weeks the collectables i collect are selling for way more than they are making on ebay and so is just about everything else and not much go passed in very few items in fact.

It all adds up to ebay is not a very viable place to sell these days for certain catagory items and are having a lend of there customers. now nearing 14% and do basically nothing.

I dont see how you can defend that. Oh and for the traffic its dwindling fast and in the next few mths as the economy slows and the election gets closer and the postage costs and new ebay fee,s start to take there toll it will only get worse here it is already slowing .

Message 237 of 303
Latest reply

If you process express post via click and send it is no longer an "unsafe" post method.

Good luck. I have done two in the past week and was unable to have them processed at two Australia Post outlets - as they system would not recognise the barcodes. One PO found the new 'how to do click and send parcels' instruction guide - they hit a problem though - the options they needed to use were not on their EPOS system. They call their helpdesk.. and the helpdesk had no idea. really!. The post office had to fax a copy of the 'how to guide' to the help desk. as of today, the PO has not heard back from their helpdesk!

(I had to settle for new tracking numbers etc... )

Message 238 of 303
Latest reply

New fees, I sell stamps by auction mainly starting at $2 new fees $1.50 insertion fee, 20c final value fee, 36c paypal fee, total fees $2.06. Now they are also asking to provide FREE POSTAGE to all Australian buyers to get top rating. 5 years of selling average price for items $5.57 , ebay and paypal fees total 26% of total sales.I would open a store if I could auction my stamps, but only collectibles can be auctioned. If stamps aren't a collectible I'll go @*#$). Anyway 200-300 items a month will have to drop to 40 a month, obviously ebay wasn't happy with $160-$220 a month in fees. Don't look at ebay USA's new fees, featured store 500 items a month free listing, fixed or auction in nearly every catagory.

Message 239 of 303
Latest reply

eBay was once a good way to make a little extra money after having kids, before returning to work. By selling pre-loved baby/children's items.

I wont be listing anything after this comes into effect. It's ridiculous. Coupled with the April postage increase and high PayPal fees we're almost left paying for customers to take our products. It wont be worth the time or effort. Plus there other ways to sell for free now days.

Also, if eBay want to charge sellers so much, perhaps they should give us a few rights. Right now all rights are on the side of the buyer. We cant even tell the truth and leave negative feedback.

Message 240 of 303
Latest reply