Need help to find re Aust Post delivering china parcels for free...

So, I happened to bump into my my new local candidate today for the first time and I was chatting to him and his team... I was on my way to deliver some C&S parcels and had vented about the price increase that we pay yet people from China can post for free... 

He was very interested and wants to know more... 

Can anyone please direct me to the right place to find the info on how Aust Post must deliver parcels from China and other countries even though the right postage amount has not been paid... 

Need this info asap and I am not sure where to look.. 

have searched through the threads here as there has been some great info but for the life of me I can't find the right threads... 

either a link to those threads or link to government sites would be fine... 

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

People in China DO NOT POST FOR FREE they pay.  Postage in China is lot cheaper than in here, but then again their wages are a fraction of wages here.  AP delivers parcels from all countries according to an international agreement between all the different postal services.  Just as other countries' postal services deliver parcels that we send o/s.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 2 of 45
Latest reply

so where would I find the info on that agreement... 

that is what I need to know then. 

Message 3 of 45
Latest reply

http://www.pc.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/110847/sub120.pdf

found this... I think it sums up the problems well.. 

anything else I need to find to give a true indication of our situation... 

He is very interested and is keen to look into it. 

Message 4 of 45
Latest reply

sirjunkhoarder
Community Member

cats-black-2013

I'll give the heads up, but unfortunately you probably won't get any joy with your local member.

As another member has already mentioned, the postal systems worldwide have a standing international agreement which goes back well before the last century (in one form or another). I know it sounds like we are getting ripped-off, but honestly every postal service in almost every country honours the postal delivery agreement.

You think it's bad in Australia, take this example on board.....you post a 500gm parcel priority air mail to Australia from Canada and you'll pay about AU$47-00, then post the exact same parcel from the USA to Australia using the same type priority air mail and you'll only pay about AU$16-00

Either way Australia Post will deliver no matter how much the sender paid for postage in the country of origin.

It know it sounds strange, but the system actually works and has done for eons...given you can't get a majority motion approved by the United Nations on the colour of mud, however you can get a parcel delivered almost anywhere in the world in times of war or peace....go figure that out, but at least it works.

My grandmother sent letters to my late grandfather when he was downed air crew in a German POW camp during WW2 via Red Cross....and the whole world was at war at that time.

Nah, leave this alone it's not worth the time or effort to write to your local MP

Message 5 of 45
Latest reply

I happen to think there is a need to discuss this... we are paying for it... if we all sat back and said nothing could ever be done then nothing will even be done... 

It may lead to nothing but it will make me feel like I tried.. 

Message 6 of 45
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Well you can discuss it all you like but do you really think that you and a political candidate are going to influence the charges and arrangements of postal services the world over?

Message 7 of 45
Latest reply

I happen to think there is a need to discuss this... we are paying for it... 

Yes we are, and have always done so, but I don't think that's got much to do with the latest price increases, nor the reduction in services rendered for the same price.

Australia Post's pre-tax profit for the 2009-2010 financial year was $103 million. Their after-tax profit for the last financial year was $280 million. If the continued price increases were simply to compensate for the increasing imports they deliver at a loss, tripling their profits in 3 years wouldn't be possible. 

Message 8 of 45
Latest reply

I happen to think there is a need to discuss this... we are paying for it... if we all sat back and said nothing could ever be done then nothing will even be done... 

I agree that if Australia is ever going to get serious about competing with Chinese sellers then something needs to be done at a government level. The decision by AusPost to raise prices for Australian sellers in order to offset the cost of delivering overseas mail was completely counterproductive. AusPost can't do anything about the free post out of China but by putting up local charges, all they have done is ensure more imported parcels & less local ones. To put it another way - more costs from overseas deliveries with less income over the counter of the local PO.

China is a Command Economy who do whatever they can to help industry. By picking up the tab for all overseas post, they have subsidised all their exporting manufacturers. In one bold move they have helped their manufacturing base to the tune of billions of dollars a year. And the Chinese government through their development banks own the airlines so what harm does a few 100 kilos of freight added to each flight do? Nothing compared to the benefit of keeping their factories going. (Maybe it's many tonnes of freight & they have dedicated delivery flights? The more the merrier!)

I have noticed lately that a few items I am interested in out of Taiwan have started offering free post. If this is their government's response to the Chinese deal, then I suspect it will soon be standard out of Korea & Japan. They must be looking at it.

Australian sellers are at a complete disadvantage now, if the rest of the Asian exporters get on the bandwagon, we will become completely redundant. Our government needs to pass legislation that will put us on an equal footing. Either they pay for the post or they make it cheap enough to allow us to compete. This would be clever legislation, the more the government spends on this plan, the more hard currency flows back into the country.

Message 9 of 45
Latest reply

sitrep65
Community Member

World postal anarchy, perhaps a postal revolution.....

Yeah, that's got as much chance of happening as Barak Obama making a membership application to join the KKK

Sometimes it's best to leave a functioning albeit at times inefficient international postal system alone, then try to create something that plainly won't work.

What are you suggesting, that Australia Post places a surcharge on all mail coming in from China?

Just remember Newtons first law of physics, for every action there is a reaction...so what do you think China will do in return, slap a postal surcharge on Australia perhaps.

Message 10 of 45
Latest reply