Observations....

Auction format only: We’re noticing a tendency, although not outstandingly conclusive, for watchers to ‘stick to’ a listing more so on the 7 day format, than the 10, and ultimately buy. There also appears more interest in listings with just a few days to go as opposed the those with say 8-9 days until end.

I’ve always been of the opinion that a 10 days listing gives you more exposure, especially if you capture two weekends, but this theory is looking a bit doubtful at the moment, in terms of the end result anyway. The ‘wait’ might be proving a bit too long for some. Yet, we have little success with BIN listings - a contradiction of sorts.

Jst a recent observation.

Melina.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Observations....

imastawka
Honored Contributor

My observations were a 5 day listing was best, with a weekend in the middle.

Also finishing at about 9pm when all the kids were finally in bed, lol.

I use the past tense because auctions have died a natural death IMO.

There seems little interest in them these days.

One bid, even with 5 or more watchers, killed them.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

You’re right Stawks, but we do occasionally see a ‘mini war’ happening. But oddly with our stuff, BIN is like a death sentence.

Gawd! I do remember the days when it was full on. Heady stuff.

Mel.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

My opinion is that auctions are pretty much dead these days, unless you are selling very unique items. I have noticed on many auctions that the bids go up by one or two dollars only each time.  I started out selling with auctions, and almost immediately, had a non paying bidder, that had only bid three dollars above the starting price, and one dollar above the underbidder.  I think a lot of people are very time poor these days, and would rather BIN. That includes me.  I find it rather annoying when I have to get up at 3 am to snipe something, I would rather a BIN any day.  Since I sell only BIN  these days, I haven't had any more non paying bidders.  Some seem to watch forever, before buying, but that is ok, as least it gives them time to think and not rush in, or get carried away on an auction.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

Just a question from a relative newcomer, why would you go to that trouble to snipe, rather than using the maximum bid option?

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

joztamps, I always, always snipe when I'm hunting an auction item!

I will usually place a preliminary bid (so that the seller doesn't feel as though there's no interest), and then put my real bid into a stealthy snipe. The reason for that is that if I use the maximum bid option, it could encourage a fellow bidder to nibble-bid (and thus drive the price up). It's also open to abuse, as someone could bid a ridiculous maximum just to reveal my (genuine) maximum, and then withdraw their bid, leaving them knowing how to outbid me.

That can also be abused by the seller using another account to drive up the price by bidding just up to my (revealed) maximum. Even though it's a policy breach to shill bid, I would sooner believe that Angela Merkel is the Tooth Fairy than believe that eBay have stamped out shill bidding.

By placing my real maximum with a snipe service outside eBay, my maximum will only be placed in the final seconds of the auction, and it means I stand a very good chance of a) winning the item, and b) winning it for considerably less than my maximum.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

I possibly need educating on how exactly sniping works.

To me it seems if another bidder has their maximum bid set at a higher level than yours, then no matter how much sniping you do in the dieing seconds of an auction they are always going to win because they had a higher maximum bid level set than you did. 

So once you snipe up to the end of your max bid limit then their auto bid will go in one higher than you anyway. And you've lost the battle.

You would not have time to react and set another higher maximum bid as its all done in the last few seconds.

Or am I missing something here on how sniping/bidding works???

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

Sometimes I list for 5 days, sometimes 7, sometimes 10......all are auctions.

And I constantly read on the boards, not to have auctions end on a Friday. But I regularly do, & sometimes it's the best day (maybe because other aren't).....go figure

I just try not to be predictable in eBay's eyes 🙂

It probably has a lot to do with categories you sell in, & what's successful for 1 seller may not be for others??
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

@clarry100 wrote:

I possibly need educating on how exactly sniping works.

To me it seems if another bidder has their maximum bid set at a higher level than yours, then no matter how much sniping you do in the dieing seconds of an auction they are always going to win because they had a higher maximum bid level set than you did. 

So once you snipe up to the end of your max bid limit then their auto bid will go in one higher than you anyway. And you've lost the battle.

You would not have time to react and set another higher maximum bid as its all done in the last few seconds.

Or am I missing something here on how sniping/bidding works???

Yes, it's true that, if a seller has a higher maximum bid set, your lower "snipe" won't outbid them.

The reason for sniping is so that no-one else can outbid you in the minutes, hours or days before an auction ends as they can if you have a maxi bid set.  

If a bidder thinks they have the item at a lower cost, they may not bother to put in a higher bid and you can grab the item out from under them at the last minute.

We have fun doing that, but not with a sniping service, just bidding ourselves with a few seconds to go - it can be a bit nerve-wracking as we use satellite internet which isn't alway the quickest, but we have always managed to get our bid on (just!).

We don't always win the auction as someone might have a maxi bid set higher than we want to pay, but no-one can come over the top of us after we bid as there's no time left.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Observations....

Thank you, that all makes sense, I'm learning something every day on these forums.Smiley Very Happy

I didn't know that there were external sniping services.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply