Procedure for lost parcel in US

Hi folks,

Firstly, I wonder how this will post. I’m signed in as Melina, like I was the other day, but my post showed another identity. Grrrrr!!

Anyway, I have an issue that I’d like your advice on before I proceed any further...

A parcel I sent to Orange in the US appears lost in the post. It has cleared customs and tracking still shows in transit to destination. It’s well overdue.

The buyer is proactive and has been understanding and helpful. We’ve both reported at our respective ends, but so far the parcel cannot be located. It has not been delivered.

If we determine it to be lost what do I and the buyer need to do that hopefully sees us both okay. Your valuable advice please 🙂

Thanks always,

Melina (still as sick as a squashed cockroach!!)

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Is the parcel insured. 

I have had parcels turn up a month late but that was on parcels with no tracking.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Firstly, I wonder how this will post. 

@melinachristina wrote:

Hi folks,

I’m signed in as Melina, like I was the other day, but my post showed another identity. Grrrrr!!

Anyway, I have an issue that I’d like your advice on before I proceed any further...

A parcel I sent to Orange in the US appears lost in the post. It has cleared customs and tracking still shows in transit to destination. It’s well overdue.

The buyer is proactive and has been understanding and helpful. We’ve both reported at our respective ends, but so far the parcel cannot be located. It has not been delivered.

If we determine it to be lost what do I and the buyer need to do that hopefully sees us both okay. Your valuable advice please 🙂

Thanks always,

Melina (still as sick as a squashed cockroach!!)

You need to keep a close eye on the sign in thing.The boards are seperate to ebay and run by a different company. If you sign out of ebay on one ID and sign back into ebay on another id it does not always follow that your id on the boards will also change. You actually have to sign in and out of the boards, rather than ebay.

It is a very easy trap to fall into. I have been caught a couple of times and had to do a quick edit to something bland that no-one will notice to ensure my other id,s stay hidden. Now I always double check my forum ID before clicking post each time.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks Chameleon. Yes, I’ll double check in future.

No, not insured. Just tracked.

I just know there’ll be a right way and and wrong way to proceed.

G’night all. Need some early rest.

Melina.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The only thing that really comes to mind is to get them to open a case on paypal. In theory you did your part and sent the item with shipping, so you should have seller protection. Since the item is not showing as delivered, the customer should have buyer protection.

At least that's the theory, but there are other people here that I trust for this kind of thing more than I trust myself. Maybe one of them will have a better idea.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:

The only thing that really comes to mind is to get them to open a case on paypal. In theory you did your part and sent the item with shipping, so you should have seller protection. Since the item is not showing as delivered, the customer should have buyer protection.

I'm pretty sure the buyer would lose the case in Paypal since they only require evidence that the seller has sent the item with tracking.

Paypal may reimburse the buyer out of their own funds, but that's not a given.

With an eBay MBG dispute the seller has to be able to show both sending tracking and delivery to the buyer.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I just had a pacel to California arrive after TWO MONTHS!  No tracking and I had refunded the guy and assumed it was lost.  To my surprise, he returned the funds with a note saying it had arrived.  Since January I have had massive delays in delivery to the US, about 1 to 2 months on average, well beyond the ridiculously wrong 6 business days quotes by AP.  So maybe give it some more time - it may still arrive.

From what I was told recently, any claim for compensation directly from AP will require a 90 day waiting period from date of claim before any decision is made.  So hopefully with the tracking info you will be protected, though it may not have their address on it?  So no way to prove it's going to them, unless they will accept screenshots of your MyPost account with the tracking number and their name and address (though this can be easily faked) or receipts which show the same?

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. As I thought, there’s a bit of suck it and see involved.

Ive been looking at PayPal. It seems like I’m protected, although there’s a couple of referred links I need to read yet. But, if that’s the case, I can refund the buyer and everyone should be happy.

Our first lost parcel. I think were fortunate to have a good buyer to deal with. It’s been excellent. You do hear some horror stories.

Thanks guys and toodle-oo:-)

Melina.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply