Selling Replica Items

rustify
Community Member

Hi all I was wondering why eBay doesn't allow people to sell replica items such as Louis Vuitton, or Chanel if it is listed as replica in the description.  I have seen people listing replica Louis Vuitton as LV rather than "Louis Vuitton" and starting bids at $20 rather than $200 however when I tried to list one of mine my listing was removed for a violation of the rules!  I know who the member is who reported my listing so why isn't this member doing the same for every replica item on eBay?  

Please help me understand this ruling and advise me on how to deal with this member.  I had in no way attempted to mislead any buyers in believing my handbag was real!  

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Selling Replica Items

it is not allowed to sell replicas or copies of Brand names, not allowed on ebay and not allowed even at the sunday market !

it is illegal and a breach of copyright.

you can never be sure who has reported you even if you think you know, ebay wont tell you.

LV, Channel, Dior, Burberrys, Billabong, Polo and many many more Brand names are members of the eBay VERO programme and as such they, the brand copyright holders, can, and do report items to eBay and have them removed.  obviously with the number of fakes around, they dont get all reported all the time but you can be sure they do get LOTS reported and they are withdrawn before you even see them.

same with the sunday markets, sure there are items there for sale that breach copyright, and ocassionally the federal police swoop on the market and confiscate, and prosecute the traders, I've seen a police raid at a market, very interesting how they swoop and close a seller down.

it is illegal in Australia to sell counterfeit goods.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

rustify
Community Member

I understand what you are saying with copyright laws, however if you type in louis vuitton in the search you will see many replica bags being sold! it's not hard for ebay to remove those listings.  Any bag being sold for around the $30-$50 mark is a replica! No one in their right mind would believe these were the real deal.

Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

I understand what you are saying with copyright laws, however if you type in louis vuitton in the search you will see many replica bags being sold!

this doesn't change the fact that it is not legal.

Seriously, you seem to be trying to argue a case for being allowed to list your replica FAKE item based on the fact that others do list.

Is it worth the risk?

Selling Replica Items

I understand what you are saying with copyright laws, however if you type in louis vuitton in the search you will see many replica bags being sold! it's not hard for ebay to remove those listings.  Any bag being sold for around the $30-$50 mark is a replica! No one in their right mind would believe these were the real deal.

Why not sell replica $20.00 notes? You could sell them for $10.00 that way any buyer should know they are getting a replica but they can still use it to go shopping.

Oh hang on, that is illegal just like selling fakes and forgeries of any item, even LV bags.

Replica is a very cute word to use but you want to sell fakes and forgeries so at least stop beating around the bush and say what it is you want to sell.

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

There are ways of listing LV and Chanel items without ebay being able to pick them up automatically, that is how some sellers get away with it UNTIL they are reported. I am not about to tell you how though!

It doesn't matter how often you say something is a 'replica' it is illegal to sell it.

If you want to sell fakes then get a market stall and compete with all the other replica sellers and of course risk your stock being siezed in a raid and destroyed which won't help you pay the heavy fines.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

Can't you see that it's wrong to sell fakes - that is what replicas really are ? Try to sell them somewhere else. If ebay receive enough reports about them you'll find yourself in trouble and risk losing your membership.

TCT
Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

Why not sell replica $20.00 notes? You could sell them for $10.00 that way any buyer should know they are getting a replica but they can still use it to go shopping.

Oh hang on, that is illegal just like selling fakes and forgeries of any item, even LV bags.

Replica is a very cute word to use but you want to sell fakes and forgeries so at least stop beating around the bush and say what it is you want to sell.

L:^OL Bump !

TCT
Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

In some categories.. forgeries and knockoffs are the order of the day.... at least ???? lucilles guy stuff includes "VINTAGE LOOK"

I have seen so many bought then sold on as  "authentic" "real" "vintage".

I guess the parent company sees no advantage in stopping others reproducing/altering their signage.

The amount of "new" vintage sign sellers has increased ramatically over the last 12 months

search

Bex tin sign

vincents tin sign

arnotts biscuits nostalgic sign new

"holden racing team tin sign"

'plume tin sign'

golden fleece tin

Neptune tin

Golden fleece hc sleigh

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

Selling Replica Items

rustify
Community Member

Using the scenario of selling fake money to buyers for lesser amounts is an absolute useless way of trying to undermine my question!  How is that even a comparison???

I am not wanting to list an item and then allow that buyer to mislead a non suspecting retailer!  There are numerous FAKES being sold on eBay as the real deal, my question was why not allow people with "FAKE" items ( is that better) to list them as this on eBay so that the buyer knows what they are buying rather than leading them into false beliefs that they are purchasing the real deal! As a large number of designer items being sold on eBay are!

People come to this forum for advise from existing members with experience, not to be mocked by people such as yourself!  if you can't answer a question without being sarcastic then why bother?????

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply