Tupperware section gone..pfft

I guess I havnt sold Tupperware in a while..and the category is gone. Fools..its the Queen of plastic..!!! No bakelite section either...they have one on the USA site..anyway..just a mini rant...jilly

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@davewil1964 wrote:

@dazzledayz wrote:

@jillywinkle wrote:

Yes..no categories. There once was a category specifically for Tupperware.....there has never been one for bakelite though...anyway..tupperware..gone. Still..they show up well when searched for..

It looks like the category didn't have the numbers any more.

A quick search for Tupperwear only produced 4 kitchenwear items plus:

4 Keyrings

1 Pill bag

1 Reps bag

1 Listing for swizzle sticks to suit Tupperwear or Bessemer

Only 11 in total so that's probably why the category went extinct.

That's probably because most sellers spell it TupperWARE.

Doh! Smiley Embarassed

I must have been tired lol.

So in other words, no earthly reason to remove the category.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

That's a shame. I haven't bought any online for a while but I used to love my tupperware & still love some items.

Having said that, I am not absolutely sure everything advertised from places such as Malaysia is genuine Tupperware, even though it has the logo on it.

I remember a few years back, buying a set of labels advertised on ebay as "tupperware labels" & they weren't cheap but considerably less than they can be bought here from party plan sellers. When they arrived they were an exact copy but nowhere did it say Tupperware at the top.

I also once bought a couple of containers, brand new, & they do have the imprint Tupperware & they work okay.. but are they genuine? The price makes me have some doubts.

Once upon a time the tupperware guarantee was fabulous & worth paying the extra for but not any more. You can't return them when you go to parties, full stop, you have to pay to post them back to the company, along with online paperwork, which totally negates the value of trying to replace small lids etc

And the older, genuine tupperware contains BPAs.

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

I wouldn't waste my money on it. The only time I bought T brand new it hardly lasted any time before all the lids cracked around the edges.
Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

It's called improving the buyer experience, which basically means ebay saves the buyers lots of money because they can't FIND anything to buy!

They did the same to the quilting category over a year ago. Buyers could easily find what they wanted by scrolling through a mere 12,000 to 13,000 items, or they could click on sub-categories by theme.

Now it's merged with fabric in general and it's a nightmare trying to find anything amongst the 50,000+ items. There's a dozen item specifics to fill in but a lot of them don't show when (if) you actually find the page where you click on them to search. Last time I tried searching that way I had to keep going through the same process every time I wanted to look for a different theme, and half of them don't show on that page anyway.

Yes, it's all gobbledegook but that's what buyers are faced with.
Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

I've still got Tupperware I bought over 30 years ago. And all the lids still work.

But it was real Tupperware.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

Possibly an unpopular opinion, given this post, but a distinct category for a single brand seems a bit unnecessary (i.e. to me, it'd be like having a category just for all Levi branded jeans or clothing, while all the others go into a different category).

It's still a branded search refinement in the left hand menu, anyway.

Interestingly, when I refined a search showing thousands of results after keyword-searching "Tupperware", down to the containers category, showing only those with 'Tupperware' selected as the brand, the results were reduced to just 15 listings (possibly because the category was lost and lots of sellers haven't updated their listings / item specifics? I don't know how recently things changed Smiley Embarassed). 

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I've still got Tupperware I bought over 30 years ago. And all the lids still work.

Me too. In fact some of my stuff is 40 years old and still fine. But you should never put it through a dishwasher & of course there are ways to get the lids on & off to avoid cracking.

It's a good product but there are other good kitchen products on the market now.

I have 2 daughters who are now in their 30s and neither has been to a Tupperware party, can you believe it.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Me too. In fact some of my stuff is 40 years old and still fine. But you should never put it through a dishwasher & of course there are ways to get the lids on & off to avoid cracking.

It's a good product but there are other good kitchen products on the market now.

I have 2 daughters who are now in their 30s and neither has been to a Tupperware party, can you believe it.

Why shouldn't it go in a dishwasher? I know you can't put it in the microwave, but didn't know about the dishwasher. I got my first ever in my whole life diswasher about 5 weeks ago and I'm putting everything through it! I have become so lazy. I think I've only filled the sink with suds once and that was to wash the bottom panel of the oven that lifts out (it would have gone in the dishwasher too, but it was too big!).

I still have my 30+ year old Tupperware. I had the yellow strainer for years and years, but it got piffed out earlier this year because it split and the handle was just about off. I don't actively buy Tupperware any more. It's very expensive for what you get and I don't think it's as good as what it used to be. There are cheaper options now that are of high quality.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

Some of the modern tupperware you may be able to put in the dishwasher, I am not sure.

There are a few reasons not to put older Tupperware in the dishwasher & in fact not to put very hot food in Tupperware either.

The first is warping. Lids and containers can warp with heat. I've had it happen to a few of my containers.

Dishwashers are much hotter than anything you'd wash by hand. If you must use a dishwasher, use the top section.

If the powers that be at Tupperware think you have put something through the dishwasher if it isn't a dishwasher proof item, they won't honour the guarantee.

My daughters put everything through dishwashers too. I mainly do but never tupperware and never anything with a non stick coating. You'll find every frypan & saucepan with non stick coating, even the dearer brands, will have that in their instructions. Once the coating is damaged, you shouldn't use those things.

With older Tupperware, there is a problem. The problem, even though they hedge around it, is it was all made with BPA. Just about everything back in the '60s till recent times included it.

BPA starts to leech under heat so if you've got it in a very hot dishwasher for an hour & weaken the plastic or store boiling hot food in it, you're more likely to get the BPA in your food.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Ahhh, OK, thanks for explaining all that. Most of mine was bought mid to late 80's, so hopefully after a time where they removed the bad stuff. Even though I still have a lot of what I bought back then, I mostly use other brands for storing and reheating now. If I'm putting leftovers in a container in the fridge, it is more than likely going to be taken to work and reheated in the microwave. Therefore, I will put it in a microwave safe container as I will also eat the contents out of said container. The plastic plates they supply us at work don't tolerate the microwave (they melt) and don't like hot food either. I found that out the hard way!

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply