Warning: Don't buy Event Cinemas gift cards from eBay

I recently bought an Event Cinemas gift card from eBay, the original listing had the barcode exposed - not the PIN just the barcode. The seller them blacked out the barcode, I bought the card having only ever seen the blacked out version of the photo and really didn't think much of it.

I went to check the gift card balance online when I received the card in the mail and found that it had only $2 left.

I contacted Event Cinemas and was told the card has been used, I didn't know how this was possible considering at the time it was used, the physical card itself was in the mail.

Apparently, if you are at the cinemas, all you need is a copy of a valid barcode to make purchases. You don't need the gift card.

Nothing is stopping you from taking a photo of a gift card at the shops and waiting for it to be activated then using it.

I've had this happen with three cards now.

If you are selling an Event Cinemas gift card on eBay DO NOT POST photos of the barcode as it can be stolen.

If you are thinking, well duh, dumb **bleep** don't buy gift cards like that. I didn't realise it was possible to use a photo of a barcode as payment.

Event Cinemas/Experience This did look into the incident but it sounds like they are still going to accept barcodes like this at the cinemas, here's what they said in an email to me:

In this instance it appears that your barcode was replicated and presented as a digital barcode (similar to our eGift Cards) which was scanned at cinema. Please note that gift card balances are accessed by the barcode/barcode number – the PIN is required for secure validation if redeeming online or when entered manually at point of sale – however if the barcode is present in cinema than it can simply be scanned for redemption.

In the same way you wouldn’t share a credit card number, it is the responsibility of the card holder to keep gift card data safe. In this instance, as the eBay seller had shared the card number on a public website, unfortunately we claim responsibility for this data being used and as such, we will not be able to compensate you for this loss. The original seller has been in touch with us however and we are of the understanding that you have since been refunded.

For peace of mind, I would strongly recommend buying Event Gift Cards direct from our online gift shop, in cinemas, or through our official third-party retailers (including Coles, Woolworths, and Australia Post).

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i think lyndal meant the paypal buyer protection policy stawks - gift cards aren't covered. 

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_Schedule_1

under eligibility point "xi." 

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 12.06.52 pm.png

personally, i would never, ever buy gift cards from anywhere but the original vendor - there's so many things that can go wrong. sure, there's probably a percentage of people who legitimately want to get rid of them as they're unwanted gifts - but there's also a great number which would be stolen, have already been used, etc. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

so leave negative feedback and say its a scammer

have you done a NOT AS DESCRIBED claim?

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

It wasn't the sellers fault. The gift card hadn't been used by the seller, it had been used by two other people who stole the barcode fron the ebay listing. The cinemas have them recorded on CCTV. The seller gave me a full refund after we both contacted Event Cinemas.

This is just a warning to other sellers/ buyers that this practice is around. I've since had another two gift cards used in the very same way. Trying to sort that out with eBay.
Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

BTW, you didnt buy it FROM Ebay, you bought it from someone selling ON Ebay.

Ebay doesnt sell anything.

If a Seller is Scamming people, Call Ebay and report them.

Your not the first to be Scammed, wont be the last, but you can tell Ebay if someone is acting Criminally on the site.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

well the seller has learned a lesson too havent they.

sorry for my error in reading your complaint.

not sure anyone at Ebay or on the Boards can give you a FIX for this one.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

back pedalling.gif   Self edited.  Sorry.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

@33_maggiewrote:
It wasn't the sellers fault. The gift card hadn't been used by the seller, it had been used by two other people who stole the barcode fron the ebay listing. The cinemas have them recorded on CCTV. The seller gave me a full refund after we both contacted Event Cinemas.

This is just a warning to other sellers/ buyers that this practice is around. I've since had another two gift cards used in the very same way. Trying to sort that out with eBay.

Why would you buy any sort of gift cards on ebay after being burned once?

You were very lucky that the seller gave you a refund as gift cards and vouchers are not covered for buyer protection.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I thought so too, Lyndal.

I can't find any policy relating to gift cards not being eligible for MBG

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

i think lyndal meant the paypal buyer protection policy stawks - gift cards aren't covered. 

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_Schedule_1

under eligibility point "xi." 

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 12.06.52 pm.png

personally, i would never, ever buy gift cards from anywhere but the original vendor - there's so many things that can go wrong. sure, there's probably a percentage of people who legitimately want to get rid of them as they're unwanted gifts - but there's also a great number which would be stolen, have already been used, etc. 

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

@lyndal1838wrote:
Why would you buy any sort of gift cards on ebay after being burned once?

I didn't.

I bought Gift Card 1 on Thursday 22/2 (SELLER REFUNDED), bought Gift Cards 2&3 on Monday, 26/2

Gift Card 1 arrived in the mail on Thursday, I checked the balance and it didn't have what was described. The PIN HAD NOT BEEN REVEALED. Turns out, this gift card was used at  the Cinemas on Friday 23/2 - while it was in the post. I've got the AusPost tracking to prove it.

Gift Cards 2&3 arrived in the mail on Wednesday 27/2. I checked the balance and they both had what was described - I even left positive feedback as they were as described.

I then went to use Cards 2&3 on Monday 5/3 but they both came up as NIL balance. I contacted Event Cinemas and they said the cards had been used at the Cinemas (different Cinemas to Gift Card 1) on Friday 2/3. Again - not by me or the seller.

So in the space of what, 10 days? I've had both purchases used without my permission or knowledge.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply