buyer wants to cancel

Hi sold an item days ago.  Got no response even after a friendly reminder.  Started a dispute and then straight away buyer asked to cancel the item. 

Do you have to cancel?  And if i dont agree can they leave neg after i close the dispute?  Do i have to respond to them or ignore and in 3 days just close the dispute and relist.  

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

buyer wants to cancel

If you cancel, feedback can be left.

If you leave the unpaid open and close it when you can, no feedback can be left.

Personally I would leave the unpaid case open then close it in 3 days.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

tiggywink92, you have two options:

Open an Unpaid Item action (Report an unpaid item) - this is in most cases the best option, because you are not relying on the buyer to take any action, and you'll be credited your final value fees. The buyer won't be able to leave any feedback, and will be issued with an unpaid item strike; or

Send a cancellation request to the buyer - but in this case, the buyer could click onto NO and refuse to cancel, whicih would leave you having to pay the final value fees. The buyer can leave feedback in this case. There is no action taken against the buyer.

Spoiler

If you choose option 1 (report unpaid item), you can send a message to your buyer saying something like, "Dear [buyer], as you have decided not to proceed with completing your purchase, an unpaid item claim has been opened. You do not need to do anything, as this will automatically close in 4 days and you will not be required to pay. Best regards, [your name]." You must close the case to complete this process - this can be done after four days have passed from the time that you opened the case.

If you choose option 2 (cancellation request), the buyer must respond to your request within 8 days. If the buyer doesn't respond, you will have to wait out the 8 days (I believe that's how long it takes) before being able to close the request and before the process of being able to request your final value fees can be undertaken if it's not done automatically (as appears often to be the case). If the buyer doesn't agree to cancel the request (even if this is accidentally clicking onto the wrong button), then you are stuck with paying the final value fees as eBay will deem the item to be sold. (Sellers, please correct these details if needed!)

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

so should i respond back to the buyer?  Ive already opened the dispute.  Or ill respond to her saying she didnt respond for days so unfortunately now i have started the dispute so i cant cancel.   Honestly if sellers keep letting buyers off they will keep doing this its really annoying

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

I'd be saying something like this:

Dear [buyer],

Thank you for letting me know. In order to proceed, a payment case has been opened. This is required for me not to have to pay eBay fees for this sale. You don't need to respond to this as it will automatically time out after 4 days, and your payment will no longer be required.

Best regards,

[name]

After that, no further communication.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

What The Countess said....................Smiley Happy

image host
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

thanks
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

Oh.........and add them to your BBL so they can't do it again. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

I wouldn't respond at all.

They had their chance. If they have waited until you opened a case before contacting you, they don't warrant a response.

Close the case when you can. The 'buyer' will get a strike (which will impact them if they do it again), you will get your fees back, neither party will be able to leave feedback. If the buyer does leave feedback in the meantime, you can easily get eBay to delete it.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

buyer wants to cancel

It's not possible to cancel a transaction once a case has been opened, anyway.

I just tell buyers in these cases that the transaction will be cancelled automatically in X days (whenever the case will be closed).
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply