new aussie post scam

12 REPLIES 12

new aussie post scam

People would still fall for this, even though Aust Post has no way of knowing your email address unless you have subscribed to something.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

What next?

Hopefully no one falls for this outlandish scam:

Australia Post is aware of a current scam targeting customers through cold calls from individual(s) purporting to be from the Australian Tax Office.

The callers are telling recipients that they owe tax and if it isn't paid onto a Load&Go card, they're going to face jail.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

Whilever people keep falling for these scams, the scammers will continue. Didn't you know that because it's on the internet, it must be true?

Even when people have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars to scammers and they have been shown proof beyond reasonable doubt that they are being scammed, they still say they would send more money if they could get it because they are still convinced they are going to get whatever has been offered to them.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

Didn't you know that because it's on the internet, it must be true?

No, I have never heard that before." Read it in the newspaper so it must be true"..yes, remember that.

I can't believe the number of  women (usually older) still fall for this one -  have internet boyfriends in other countries and the women send them lots of money ( that the male needs for their sick mother, etc)  even selling their house to do so, all in the belief they will fly over to their new boyfriends country and get married to them.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

Men fall for it too with the Russian bride trade. I think it's more prevalent in women though. I love playing with the scammers. Haven't had a Nigerian for bleams, but when I do get them, I lead them on so they think they have another victim. I can get quite funny, especially when they send you photos of a suitcase full of American currency.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

I still remember the day my brother confided in me and pulled me aside to share in his good fortune of a recent email he had received informing him he had won the european lottery unprovoked and a figure just short of 50 million euro.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

Haha! I had some fun with one of these Indian callers who says they are from windows technical services and want to fix all the errors on your computer. I told him my computer was very slow to start up and would he mind waiting 20-minutes for it to start. I then put down the phone whilst we finished our dinner. After about 10-minutes I picked up the phone and he was still there. I told him it had crashed duringstartup and he would have to wait while I tried again. And after another 10-minutes he was still there. When I picked up the phone sagain he started going on about connecting to the internet. I said Oh we don't have any internet. Then he got angry and let loose with a lot of swearing and hung up. Problem after that was our phone was ringing at 2am each night. Er had to unplug it to stop them.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

funny stuff, another good one is to wind em up asking what you need to buy to get this fixed and is it ok to pay by visa?
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

new aussie post scam

@au.phone.crazy wrote:
I still remember the day my brother confided in me and pulled me aside to share in his good fortune of a recent email he had received informing him he had won the european lottery unprovoked and a figure just short of 50 million euro.

One of my foreign born colleagues came into work one day last year, grinning from ear to ear, telling everyone he had won a fortune in a lottery. He even showed us the message on his phone. He was planning all the things he could do with the money. He was also telling us how he was organising the $5,000 he needed to send them to get the money released from the UK. It took us nearly a week to convince him that he was being scammed, and even then I don't think he believed us.

In the end, one of my other colleagues snatched his phone from him and deleted the messages. I know that probably wasn't the best tactic, but being the kind, generous person he is, we didn't want him to be scammed. He was upset about the phone snatching because he wanted to donate half his 'winnings' to the kids hospital and accused us of taking money away from the kids who needed it.

Even when some of us printed things out to show him it was a scam, he still didn't believe us. It's sad that in this day and age, people still think it's legitimate.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply