offensive

cfmj*59
Community Member

good morning afternoon depending on where you are . 

I attempted to add a very old golliwog to sell today and was told that I could not sell it as it was offensive , I can however 

I can buy this 

cfmj59_0-1636406970656.png

i find this offensive why can this be advertised 

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

offensive

I think it is a problematic issue (and an issue that also divides doll collectors). The golliwog does have a racist history, and racism against black people was pretty bad when the golliwog came out, particularly in the USA. The name itself is offensive, and maybe these dolls should be renamed in the first place.

However, I have seen explanations of why they are offensive that in themselves sounded pretty racist instead of against racism, like that they are ugly caricatures because they have black frizzy hair, fleshy lips, scary round eyes rimmed in white... I don't know, but I think that saying that all these features are ugly sounds racist in itself to me.

So yes, it is definitely a difficult issue.

Message 11 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

I am surprised OP had not been back to complain what they went searching for, and found is now on display on their page under 'recently viewed items' and that they are getting email reminders from eBay about the item they viewed 

Message 12 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

At least it's listed as ' Brand New ' .😀

Message 13 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

But is it as described? 

Message 14 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

Not sure I'm game to read the description. lol

Message 15 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

Really - it's got a remote. 🤣

Message 16 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

I notice the screenshot the OP so kindly provided mentions remote control

Really though? How lazy would you have to be?

Message 17 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

Best get out of my jammies then. 🙂

Message 18 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

Sometimes eBay also suggests items based on recently viewed items.. 🙂
@sandypebbles wrote:

I am surprised OP had not been back to complain what they went searching for, and found is now on display on their page under 'recently viewed items' and that they are getting email reminders from eBay about the item they viewed 

Message 19 of 50
Latest reply

offensive

OMG - just made the mistake of going - quite innocently - lol - to the actual website.

They have a 70% off Sale - oh brother - don't overpay. 😎

Message 20 of 50
Latest reply