Book Fairs, Library Sales - Dates & Times

Let's continue the great thread from the 'old' boards and share information about Library Sales, Book Fairs
Message 1 of 1,392
Latest reply
1,391 REPLIES 1,391

I just had a phone chat with my aunt who lives in Sydney and she went to the Wahroonga sale today. She does a bit of book scouting for me and picked up a couple of cookbooks there.

Oh, and I've just remembered, I found a couple of gems yesterday ... I'll go and post them on the 'What I Found' thread.
Message 691 of 1,392
Latest reply

I went to a book sale yesterday at Wahroonga - there were more book dealers there than joe public - did I see anyone who posts on this board?

I was at St Johns church at 7.10am - what time were you there??
Message 692 of 1,392
Latest reply

The couple with the baby sell on eBay but rarely post, the man who didn't stop talking no longer deals in books but can't stay away from booksales. I may have been the one with the auburn hair - I was chatting to the couple with the baby - I was wearing 3/4 pants and probably a grotty green shirt. And I was only 10 mins late, not half an hour!!! LOL
Message 693 of 1,392
Latest reply

I just had a phone chat with my aunt who lives in Sydney and she went to the Wahroonga sale today. She does a bit of book scouting for me and picked up a couple of cookbooks there.

Oh, and I've just remembered, I found a couple of gems yesterday ... I'll go and post them on the 'What I Found' thread.

I hope I have manners!
Message 694 of 1,392
Latest reply

Me me me, I'll own up, I do all the above Judy.
Very fast eyes for the quick scan and grap, snatch, trip over fellow sale goers to fill as many bags as possible.
Then a couple more slower scans of the books to grap the ones I missed the 1st couple of scans.
The addrenalin is something not to be missed.
The really good sales you come out smirking from head to toe while punching the air with your fist, fill your boot, back seat and passenger seat, and all with only $70 less in your wallet.
Message 695 of 1,392
Latest reply

I was there last year Rama. The opening was delayed that time cos some tool in the council office forgot to give the hall key to the volunteers. This time the doors opened right on 9am.

I've found out why it was leaner pickings this time. The person who was library manager resigned late last year & bought the T'gon book exchange. I hope you don't mind, I gave your name & shop name as someone to get in touch with for advice if needed. That person used to cull a lot more books than previous managers & now it looks like the library has gone back to it's old ways. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I didn't know Traralgon got a new owner in.
Hopefully they run it better than it was run by the previous owner.
Bad news about the library sale though.
Message 696 of 1,392
Latest reply

I may have been the one with the auburn hair - I was chatting to the couple with the baby - I was wearing 3/4 pants and probably a grotty green shirt. And I was only 10 mins late, not half an hour!!! LOL

I wondered if that was you - I was behind you in the queue to pay:^O
Apologies for suggesting you were much later than you were - I got there at 7 and there were already people leaving ๐Ÿ˜
Message 697 of 1,392
Latest reply

Aha - were you the lady with the Sara Douglass in one of her bags. I hope I was polite. I am allowed to be late cos I live at Rouse Hill and that is a fair drive. :^O
Message 698 of 1,392
Latest reply

Actually the thing that peeves me most about some dealers at book sales is when they amass a huge pile of books, usually in a corner or out of the way place, then leave a heap there after they have gone through them. That's just plain rude - most of those sales are run by volunteers, and I'm sure they have enough to do without tidying up after people.

The rest - the pushing, bad manners, reaching across etc - well, I have my own ways of dealing with that. ]:)
Message 699 of 1,392
Latest reply

I don't have the patience to cull my original pickings.
Message 700 of 1,392
Latest reply