GST on products bought from overseas. Just got stung!

Just got stung with a 10% GST when I bought a book fro the USA (not happy Mr Turnball)

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Nobody is happy about the new GST on low value imported goods but that is the law and we have to live with it.

Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

It should be transparent though and shown in the cost of an item before purchasing it. 

Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

I thought all sellers in the US had been opted in to immediate payment, which means you can't buy without paying, which means you can easily back out if you want to when you see the GST.

Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

I'm not sure how it works in the US. I'm not in the US. 

Message 5 of 39
Latest reply

I'm shocked as you are. Imagine if you will, i purchase like 5 items a day here, didn't know about this GST. So when i checked my bank statement for this wk, every purchase was shadowed with GST, some with 96c, $1.80 - I just want to die! eBay whole purpose to me is getting a cheap items, so instead of cheering for under $10 buys, these all becomes $12 it adds up like one t-bone steak cost off my shopping list. This breaks my heart but i'm saying goodbye to this once "a great shopping place for your hobbies". One thing we can all agreed on that this GST cannot put a stop on, the majority of buyers will not stand for this. 

Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

Actually your $10 buy becomes $11 and you would know that as it is on the invice before you hit the button to pay.

Insted of buying 10 items at $10 just buy 9 and you won't be paying out any more money.

A 10% increase is not all that much in the scheme of things.

Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

I Just bought a 2nd hand item from ebay USA. & Paid GST . How does the Australian Government have the right collect tax from a Private US citizen? when if I'd bought it from a swap meet here I would pay no GST.
Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

They are not collecting it from a US citizen....they are collecting it from you, who lives in Australia.

GST is now payable on all imported goods, no matter who they are bought from.

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

What I said in your virtually identical post in the other thread.

Hint: if you're not going to start a new thread, and you feel you MUST post without reading the myriad threads in 'buying' about the matter, at least please only post your 'question' in ONE thread.

Message 10 of 39
Latest reply