eBay is dead to me I guess nothing last forever thx GST

I'm one of those who don't care for any Announcement. I buy a lot of cheap items here almost 5 days a wk. So you can imagine my eyes popping out when each transaction, say 10 items, on top of it was added $10-20. I cancel my CC long time ago because these tiny cents charges are a no no with me. Looking at my bank statement, terriying too because these GST was charged after these items i bought from eBay. Not happening MAD AS HELL Goodbye eBay.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

We have paid GST on everything since 2000 so I guess you could say we have been lucky to not pay GST on imports under $1000.

But that also meant our hard earned dollars have been going overseas.

Now we might get buyers spending it locally a little more.

Good for Australia. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

None of us like paying GST or any other tax for that matter. Look at your household bills, STAMP DUTY as well as GST. Do you think that eBay or the Government care that you are not buying here anymore? You will still pay GST on your purchases outside of eBay every time you buy anything.  The only person you are hurting is yourself, by not getting the items you want. We are all in the same boat but most of us learn to live with it, despite being unhappy about it. The only way to avoid GST is move to another country, and then you will pay their taxes instead, like VAT or whatever.

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

kessendra, are you sure that  your eyes were genuinely popping out with each transaction?

The passing of the legislation was covered at the time, and the fact that it was coming into effect on 1st July this year was all over the news. Even if you don't "care for any Announcement", you must have seen it on TV news, read in a newspaper, or spotted it in the online news sites.

Perhaps you didn't consciously take any notice...

If your aren't willing to pay this GST on low value imported goods, then buy from Australian sellers (where GST is built into the price), or buy from overseas sellers with a less than $75,000 annual turnover to Australian buyers (and make sure they're not selling on an electronic distribution platform that is considered, for the purpose of this GST, to be the supplier).

But none of that is helping with your eye problem. In respect of that, you will need to report your exophthalmos to your doctor and if recommended, use corticosteroids. There are more intrusive treatments, but as said, talk to your doctor. Also, avoid violent sneezing. 

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

@kessendra wrote:

I'm one of those who don't care for any Announcement. I buy a lot of cheap items here almost 5 days a wk. So you can imagine my eyes popping out when each transaction, say 10 items, on top of it was added $10-20. I cancel my CC long time ago because these tiny cents charges are a no no with me. Looking at my bank statement, terriying too because these GST was charged after these items i bought from eBay. Not happening MAD AS HELL Goodbye eBay.

looks like kessendra has been actively buying on eBay since posting this little tanty.

7 things bought this month, maybe more as feedback is not a reliable indicator of number of items bought . . . . . 6 of them from overseas . . . . . and not a fire extinguisher among them!

Spoiler
or pants
Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

Smiley LOL

Like many, eBay is still too tempting and easy to use.

Small things I used to go to the shopping centres for I now just do a few clicks and it arrives within the week.

But I usually make sure it's here in Australia. 

(Nice new avi) Such a close game that you could say both teams were the winners this year.

image host
Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

30 days of mourning and the old avi will be back.

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

@kessendra wrote:

Hi kessendra, I hear you and I feel your anguish. GST should not be applicable on any second hand items from overseas sellers.

Quite often, many second hand items purchased from overseas sellers are from people who are selling their own personal stuff. To pay 10% on an item that is second hand is extortion. But, what do you do???  Crazy Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

We have paid GST on everything since 2000 so I guess you could say we have been lucky to not pay GST on imports under $1000.

But that also meant our hard earned dollars have been going overseas.

Now we might get buyers spending it locally a little more.

Good for Australia. Smiley Wink

Second had items from second hand shops incur GST (Which I accept but don't agree with), but second hand items locally and overseas should not have 10% extra attatched to them. No no no no no!

I buy things overseas because Australian sellers don't have what I want. A good deal of other buyers do the same.

Sorry Amigo, but I have to disagree in part. Not as good for Australia as you say. When people suffer because they are being unjustly taxed, that can't be a good thing. Hard earned dollars shouldn't be snatched from people just because privatisation-mad govt(s) inroduce tax to make more revenue to replace what they (some would say steal) lose by their actions.

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

GST should not be applicable on any second hand items from overseas sellers.

I don’t think the ‘cheap’ items that kessendra posted about were 2nd hand items from small sellers. In fact, most of the nearly 1000 feedback for purchases on that ID were left by just one seller, and NOT for second hand items.

Why would you introduce the ‘GST on 2nd hand items’ argument on a thread that, until you mentioned it, had nothing to do with GST on 2nd items?

Spoiler
unless it is just a continuation of your self serving ‘anti-GST on imports’ stance.

You aren’t interested in how the GST on 2nd hand imports affects small time buyers, only in how it affects your ability to add to your collections of rare and one-off items.

If there was a GST exemption for items only available from overseas then that would open the floodgates to tax avoidance.

Spoiler
when people suffer” . . . . . . . . LOL, like collectors paying GST on second hand imports rates as “suffering”

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply