Why towing boats will not help

Oh so THIS is what all those pesky refugees are complaining about.

This picture shows the aftermath of an attack at a Shia Muslim rally at Meezan Chowk in Quetta on September 3 2011 that killed 42 and injured 80 people - mostly Hazaras.

Above them is an Australian-sponsored billboard saying "Don't go on a leaky boat - the illegal way. Just stay where you are".

Just stay where you are. Walk the streets of Quetta or Kandahar and just wait to be blown to high heaven. Just stay where you are.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

OP - how many million would you like and how will YOU be paying for their care ?

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

how do you know thats what is says? 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151026844901727&set=a.10150435510656727.352591.532801726&type=1&theater

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

OP are you in favour of importing that kind of thing here?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

I've been to Quetta

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Poddy, you claimed to have come from that kind of thing. Why is it ok to let you in, but not others?

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

A spokesman for Customs and Border Protection said the poster was part of a campaign that ended in mid 2010 but many of the billboards had remained in place.

“On behalf of the Australian government, Customs and Border Protection leads and refines the implementation of counter people smuggling communications campaigns in source and transit countries.

“In 2010-2011, we implemented campaigns in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Indonesia to discourage and deter potential irregular immigrants and crew from becoming involved in people smuggling activities,” the spokesman said.

“Customs and Border Protection conducted this advertising campaign immediately after an April 2010 policy announcement by the Australian government regarding the temporary suspension of the processing of Afghan and Sri Lankan asylum claims.

“The aim of the campaign, which lasted for three months, was to ensure that the government’s policy announcement reached source communities. Although the campaign ceased in mid-2010 some of the campaign posters are still in place.

“To deter and dissuade potential irregular immigrant communities in source and transit countries from embarking on a maritime voyage to Australia, this banner advertising also conveyed messages about the dangers and risks of such a voyage.”

So what did the poster actually say??

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

So what did the poster actually say??

It said:

"Don't go on a leaky boat - the illegal way. Just stay where you are".

This photo has been taken sometime ago, but such scenes are everyday occurrences in Afganistan, Iraq, Syria and other places; they may not all have the same posters near by.

Australia only gets about 2% of the world's refugees, and if we just dealt with them the best and simplest way, it would cost only fraction of the money we spend now.  But taking care of refugees is our international duty.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

Australia only gets about 2% of the world's refugees

What are the acutal figures?  Where is Australia ranked when it comes to refugee resettlement ?  Last time I looked we ranked 3rd after the US and Canada.   How does our Humanitarian Program work?  Who makes the decisions and how?  How would you change it?

You can find  information such as components of the program in  the "Australia’s Humanitarian Program  2012–13 and beyond"  information paper.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

How would I change it?....ask Malcolm Fraser...I'd consider him one of the foremost experts in this particular issue, but the LNP and MSM seem to have ignored his input altogether. 

As it is, he's backing Hanson Young for the Senate to deliberately undermine the control of the LNP.  He seems to be backing the Greens policies.....I just wish SOMEONE would ask him.....he managed to get numerous refugee taking nations to make a concerted effort to get people re-settled in the time of the FIRST boat people (or so called). 

What bugs me is that we're not hearing from people who might have intelligent 'humanitarian' strategies for dealing with the GLOBAL refugee crisis.....just politicians playing football with peoples lives...*shakes head*.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply