Echeque issue... can I fix this without having to deal with CS

I'd really rather avoid calling CS if I can over this issue, as the last time I called them, my account was broken for a week! 

I had someone purchase an item on my secondary store account. They paid via echeque. Usually this would show up as a pending payment hourglass on ebay, however, this time, for some reason it came up as a payment recieved dollar symbol. I have checked and double checked, it was definitely an echeque, NOT a direct payment. 

This would not usually be an issue, except that the buyer proceeded to CANCEL the echeque!  I have messaged the buyer two or three times over the past week and a half with no response. I suspect they saw the glitch and tried to take advantage of the fact ebay was telling me it had been paid. 

I tried to file an unpaid item dispute, but ebay insists the item was paid for. I tried to cancel the transaction, but ebay wanted to refund the buyer money I never recieved in the first place. 

It's quite likely the buyer will not do anything further with the transaction. However, they could technically open an item not recieved case against me, and unless a real human looks at the case, it will be ruled in their favour automatically. I can't relist the item because the buyer might decide to pay at some point, and then ebay will force me to sell the item to them, and as it's a new account I REALLY don't want any negative feedback. 

I don't particularly want to call customer service because they don't listen, they don't know what they're talking about half the time, just accessing my account on their system seems to break things every damn time, and since ebay and paypal are technically seperate, I expect they will tell me it was paid for, because when does ebay ever have a glitch, and to call paypal, who will tell me that it was cancelled, never paid for, so call ebay, and so we go in a circle. I did email them, a week ago, and have recieved absolutely no response, which is just absurd. Why have an email support service if you wont reply, at all, to the emails!

In a rather humerous twist, the same buyer actually purchased an item from this account, my main account, two days ago! lol. I doubt they realize it's the same person. Paid by echeque which, this time, showed as the hourglass, and am waiting to see if it clears... but at least I can file unpaid item on this one. 

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Oh, one saving grace, I just remembered she actually left positive feedback just after the echeque was cancelled. So at least I don't have to worry about a neg.

Doesn't help with the possible INR case though...

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I would think-hope that any attempt to reverse the PayPal transaction would ultimately fail since no funds were transferred to your account, but these days it's difficult to know for sure - if it came to that, I would definitely call CS because the cancellation will have to be on record and it's therefore provable the buyer has no right to a refund.

Are you able to unmark as payment received and then do a UPI, maybe? Or send a new invoice (if you have the option) and see if that sets things right? 

BTW, if eBay says the item is "paid" and you can't go through the UPI process, chances are the buyer can't go through checkout again, either, and if they currently do still have that option, it will disappear after 31 days, so - small comfort, I know - you could list it worry-free after that time has passed. 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I unmarked it as paid, but apparently that icon is only for my own reference, ebay still tells me it was paid for, and even links me to the cancelled transaction! I also have no option to send an invoice.

I guess I'm gonna have to call them... sigh

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply