$1750 eBay Scam? Has this seller scammed me?

zain5700
Community Member

Hi all,

I ordered an expensive $1750 brand new Nikon camera from a seller. Before it was dispatched i strictly told seller to recheck my address and name and don't use safe dropping method.

Some facts:

- item location is Melbourne, gets posted from Ashfield, NSW

- Sellers suggested bank transfer (I refused, opted Paypal)

- The items get delivered somewhere but the tracking number just shows that it was delivered in my suburb.

- Seller used a 500 gram express post sachet to post an expensive piece of electronics (Camera's body itsself is 750 gram without box and stuff) .

- Seller also didn't use "signature upon delivery" according to AUPost.

- investigation with Aupost and dispute with eBay and Paypal lodged the same day.

- Seller requested to close the disputes so he can get the funds from Paypal. Also, the parcel is in Aupost system and will only get delivered to my address when PayPal will release funds (tracking number shows "delivered" already)

- Sellers account gets suspended.

- Seller wants time till Monday to make sure package gets delivered to me.

I haven't received anything nor want to complete this transaction with this seller because of my suspicion of fraud.

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

go-tazz
Community Member

Yes,they are trying to scam you.

Read this thread about the same seller that tried to scam someone else:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Aus-Post-parcel-says-quot-delivered-quot-but-I-received-noth...

Message 2 of 43
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Yes, you have been scammed and if you have opened a dispute with both ebay and paypal at the same time you have lost your money unless you funded the payment with a credit card and can do a chargeback through your bank.

You cannot have 2 disputes going at the same time and both ebay and paypal will refuse to help you.  You should have started with ebay...if that had failed (doubtful in this case) you could have gone on to a paypal dispute.

Follow the link to the other thread and see what has already been done about the seller.

Message 3 of 43
Latest reply

zain5700
Community Member

They can't refuse to help and both offer a dispute resolution. No where does it say that eBay buyers can not have disputes with both Paypal and eBay at the same time. I don't know why would you say that. 

Message 4 of 43
Latest reply

I said that because it is the cold hard fact.....you cannot open disputes with ebay and paypal at the same time.....they will both tell you they cannot help you.  They will both close the dispute and once closed they cannot be reopened.

Many members have found this out to their cost.

If ou want help ou need to take notice of what you are told.

Message 5 of 43
Latest reply

@zain5700 wrote:

No where does it say that eBay buyers can not have disputes with both Paypal and eBay at the same time. 

Here is where it says exactly that (screenshots and link):

eBay

ebay dispute clip.PNG

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

If you have an eBay dispute open and open a PayPal one, the PayPal one will actually stand, but the eBay one will immediately close. If you have a PayPal dispute open, you can not open an eBay dispute. 

ETA - please do have a read of the other thread, there is a lot of relevant advice in there, as the situation is (for obvious reasons) very similar. 

Message 6 of 43
Latest reply

Digi I am sure there was a poster who had both the ebay and the paypal disputes closed because they were opened at the same time.

I hope for the OP's sake that you are right....that is a lot of money to possibly lose because of a wrong move in opening a dispute.

Message 7 of 43
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Digi I am sure there was a poster who had both the ebay and the paypal disputes closed because they were opened at the same time.

I hope for the OP's sake that you are right....that is a lot of money to possibly lose because of a wrong move in opening a dispute.

It's possible that has happened, but technically it shouldn't (there may have been some kind of an overlap if they were opened at around the same time, though) - I know of sellers who had buyers go to PayPal before their eBay dispute resolved and they subsequently just had to deal with the PayPal one, at any rate. PayPal are a little bit vague in their policies with what happens when an eBay claim is already open - it might be they actually have taken measures to prevent it, as I know a lot of buyers get redirected back to eBay when wanting to dispute a transaction, and they only have specific info in the policies about what happens if someone tries to open a PP dispute and initiate a CC chargeback for the same transaction (generally, the PayPal dispute will close, but if the buyer manages to proceed with both somehow, they will owe PayPal the full value of any refund they're provided). 

eBay disputes should close immediately (or as near as) when a different resolution process is opened (be that a PayPal claim or CC chargeback, even though chargebacks are only specified above), allowing the other process to take over, but as with anything, I should have included the disclaimer that I can't 100% guarantee how certain actions would play out, as there are always exceptions. 

Message 8 of 43
Latest reply

zain5700
Community Member
Dispute on eBay is currently on hold for 5 days. Seller will require to prove the delivery address and signature upon delivery.
Message 9 of 43
Latest reply

zain5700
Community Member
Seller won
Message 10 of 43
Latest reply