A seller wrongly reported me, how do I make sure Ebay doesn't put some type of mark against me?

I purchased an item from a seller. It had a dent in the box which wasn't obvious from the photos. It is a collectable, and I didn't want it damaged. This buyer allows returns for any reason up to 30 days, so I returned it 2 days later using the reason 'defective' which was the most accurate and added a closeup of the damage. I got refunded, but the seller messaged me and accused me of having changed my mind and lying about the reason so that I didn't have to pay return shipping, even tho I did pay return shipping via -$21 from my refund. He then told me that he reported me, presumably for misusing the returns system. I haven't violated Ebays policies as the seller allows 30 day returns, so how do I make sure Ebay doesn't put a mark against my account which will affect me in future purchases because Ebay hasn't sent me any notice or way to defend myself?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A seller wrongly reported me, how do I make sure Ebay doesn't put some type of mark against me?

Why did you pay return postage if the item was damaged (not as described)

The seller should have issued you a pre-paid postage label that does not come out of your refund

eBay let buyers do pretty much anything they want, so even IF the seller did actually 'report you' eBay are unlikely to care. They certainly won't 'do' anything about a one off

And since buyers can only get positive feedback, you will never have anything other than 100% as a buyer

Nobody else is going to know any of this

The only way you will get 'marks against your account' is if you buy things and don't pay for them

THEN you would'nt be able to buy any seller who has blocks in place against non payers

Was this the same seller who offered you '99%' off earlier this month that you complained about when they were'nt willing to honour an erroneous offer?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Why did you pay return postage if the item was damaged (not as described)

The seller should have issued you a pre-paid postage label that does not come out of your refund

eBay let buyers do pretty much anything they want, so even IF the seller did actually 'report you' eBay are unlikely to care. They certainly won't 'do' anything about a one off

And since buyers can only get positive feedback, you will never have anything other than 100% as a buyer

Nobody else is going to know any of this

The only way you will get 'marks against your account' is if you buy things and don't pay for them

THEN you would'nt be able to buy any seller who has blocks in place against non payers

Was this the same seller who offered you '99%' off earlier this month that you complained about when they were'nt willing to honour an erroneous offer?

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Hi, good to know it shouldn't affect me. I got a prepaid label, but then money was taken out of my refund automatically, maybe I'll contact Ebay about it. And it was a different seller from the other guy. That guy relisted the item and and I sent him an offer for 20% less which he accepted, and he was very polite and all.
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Just reply to his message and say you did not misuse the system as the item had damage that was not obvious or mentioned in the ad. And that you would not have bought it had you known.

He can report you all he likes. I doubt he will actually.

But I don't think you need to worry about ebay putting some mark against you. If they had any concern whatsoever, I think you would probably receive a report or warning from ebay itself. If you haven't received anything like that, you're fine.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply