Absolute eBay lunacy. Long time user infuriated

xb50gs
Community Member
I recently purchased a phone/tablet from a seller. Paid $81 for it. Seller says he's in Aus and I was counting on the phone arriving really quickly. About a week passes and I question where it is and ask for tracking. Assures me it's been sent and will arrive soon. I needed it for the long weekend as I was working away and needed a larger screen for YouTube. Nothing arrives.

Gives me tracking advice which shows it as being received. Nothing here, he can't give me any more info, I assume because he is in china and his colleague, as he refers to them, is posting the item from somewhere inside Australia. Request more info, he stalls me more so I open a dispute. He immediately escalates to a claim and refuses to communicate.

Claim closes in his favor because there is tracking. No further proof is needed. I request to see a copy of my signature, which is denied. There isn't one as I haven't signed for it. Because it's not here. But there proof isn't needed.

Let me just say I'm a big volume buyer. I get in excess of 10 parcels some weeks and I don't always keep track of what comes from where, particularly when I buy multiples of the same item, like globes, or other such small things, so it's entirely possible I received an item of low value from someone and that is the tracking info provided. Who knows how many seller ID's he has, I may have bought from him and had a legitimate parcel signed for and now I'm being scammed. The day I was told the parcel was posted is different from the date shown in tracking by quite a few days and it's different from the date listed in eBay.

I contact paypal and ask for a review. It's reviewed and closed the same day. I phone again and ask for a review again, the phone agent says shipping proof was provided, case closed. I point out the discrepancies and he tells me it meets pay pals level of proof. Case closed.

Ok, wipe $81 away, leave negative feedback and move on.

Negative feedback is removed. Email eBay and ask why, get copy pasta and then I'm told it's a matter of privacy as to why it was removed, even though I wrote it. It didn't breech rules. It said 'no item received. tracking info not supplied when requested' or very similar to that.

Email back again, they tell me to follow up to the feedback the seller left. Yeah, that's smart, because everyone will see that and be warned by it. He didn't even leave me feedback.

So. I'm now trying to lodge a lost parcel thing with AP. Can't do it, as I'm the receiver. Seller won't communicate. At all.
Contact eBay and ask for advice. The genius advises me to 'contact the post office for proof of item not arrived'. Have you read anything more stupid? Proof of the item not arrived. Seriously.

Can't do a visa charge back as visa won't allow it, as paypal carry the insurance and they won't allow 2 insurances on a purchase. Can't do a thing with AP as the seller won't communicate and sure as hell won't go to the post office and do the lost parcel paperwork. Can't warn other buyers, can't do a **bleep** thing.

10+ years on here and I've seen some stupid things, but this is the stupidest.
Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Long time user should know better than to expect a phone/tablet for $81.

And should know all the pitfalls.

Thyere are avenues for redress, but you know them, so I won't waste your time detailing them.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Depending on what bank you are with (most banks do this) you will be able to report that you have been ripped off. The bank will do an investigation and refund your money within about a week or two.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Is it the neg you have left for the seller today? It is still there. They also have something at the bottom of their listing about registering items.

From what I have read on the forums I think negative feedback will be removed if a paypal case is found in the sellers favour, and a seller is only required to prove to paypal that they sent the item to your postcode.

Insurance on the item might have been the best option and opening a case and leaving a neg for a seller isn't likely going to help your cause as they probably don;t even care about it now.

JMO

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

"Can't do a visa charge back as visa won't allow it, as paypal carry the insurance and they won't allow 2 insurances on a purchase"

As far as I know paypal don't insure anything.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

No, it's not the neg I left today. That seller hasn't even replied to an email I sent. As I said the neg was removed.

Why wouldn't I expect a tablet for $80? They sell all the time, cheap Chinese stuff, low value, that's the average price.

That's how visa worded it. They said if it's a Paypal purchase. Paypal guarantee it. So I could do a Paypal refund and get my money, then do a visa refund, was their explanation.

I have contacted my bank, they won't do anything and have referred me to visa. See above.
Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@2barkingbeagles wrote:

That's how visa worded it. They said if it's a Paypal purchase. Paypal guarantee it. So I could do a Paypal refund and get my money, then do a visa refund, was their explanation.

You may be able to dispute that - PayPal explicitly state that A) they are not insurance providers and B) buyer protection is not guaranteed. Secondly, if a PayPal dispute resulted in a refund, it would go back to the funding source (card), so there would be no way to have a second bite of the cherry, so to speak.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

With the tracking information does it show as delivered to your postcode (or suburb) on the AusPost website ? Was the item listed on the Australia eBay site?

I think to do a chargeback the requirements for the seller would be similar (if not less) to what paypal have.

That was someone else that made the comment about the price of the tablet. I think the price is about right for a cheap one.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Time to lodge an official dispute with the Financial Ombudsmans Service.

https://fos.org.au/
Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

I have done a Visa chargeback after a paypal claim failed.   As long as the two claims are not running simultaneously there is no problem.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply