An item I have bid on received 19 bids in dollar increments to tie me. Normally this doesn't bother

An item I have bid on received 19 bids in dollar increments to tie me (from one bidder).  I don't mind this normally, but this bidder has over 4,000 retractions in one month.  The seller has good feedback and the buyer has over 1500 feedbacks so they are obviously buying things, but 4,000 retractions in one month indicates to me that something funny is going on.  Am curious what the forum thinks.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

An item I have bid on received 19 bids in dollar increments to tie me. Normally this doesn't bother

shocked-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

How many retractions in a month ?

Item number please. That would be a record.

(BTW, do you ever see any Panama banknotes?)

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

@silversands wrote:

An item I have bid on received 19 bids in dollar increments to tie me (from one bidder).  I don't mind this normally, but this bidder has over 4,000 retractions in one month.  The seller has good feedback and the buyer has over 1500 feedbacks so they are obviously buying things, but 4,000 retractions in one month indicates to me that something funny is going on.  Am curious what the forum thinks.  Thank you.

Definitely think the bidder is a bit dubious - what kind of percentage of their bidding history is with the seller? As it could be shilling, but could be a bidder trying to game auctions on their own. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

I have sent you a private message Silversands.

It will show up as a message above this thread,(next to your user ID silversands next is Notifications then you have

Messages).

I've never seen anyone that high before,(I used to have one in my saved sellers list that had over 1000,but that

was in six months).

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Youd have thought eBay would have some sort of mechanism in place which penalises "bidders" once they reach a certain number of retractions. Or have a maximum number or retractions allowed per month.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

It's interesting but according to the bid history details they haven't bid on any of the sellers items,(they bid 23

times on this item yet it shows 0% with this seller).

They are bidding on 24 items from one seller but it looks like they are a nibble bidder and will slowly raise

their bids to try and get items at a "cheaper" price and they may retract when they have second thoughts

about an item,(which can be suspected as shill bidding and stop others from bidding higher).

30-Day Summary

Total bids:                                4489

Items bid on:                            2396

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0%

Bid retractions:                        204

Bid retractions (6 months):      4973

So is eBay fudging the books again so that shill bidding can't be detected at all,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

1% of 4500 = 45.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

1% of 4500 = 45.

Didn't pick up on that at all,Angry head bang.gif

I've got Ross River Virus/Fever so I'm not operating on all cylinders,(those blardy female mossies)stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gifblush-1.gif

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply