Aramex quarantine charge of $40 WHY??

Just recieved a email saying my parcel has been held and I have to pay a $40 fee to Aramex. I purchased Brand 5 NEW assorted Dogit Hagin Dog toys and I don't know why they would need to be inspected? All up they cost me around $100 and the listing for the postage was FREE.  The seller has only provided a tracking number on 3 of the dog toys so I don't even know which items are being held and if the seller has sent them separate I am wondering if I'll get another Quarantine notice and another fee??. I have nevr had this happen before and wonder if anyone can tell me why and what I can do ? 😞 There really shouldn't be anything wrong with these dog toys so I don't know why they would be in quaratine?.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

I can also not see any reason for these toys to be held or an extra inspection charge justified. Are you sure the email is legit? if so call them. I wish I could give better advice.

Latest reply

Are they made from bamboo? or does it say that on the package that would be the only reason I could think of. If they are just rope or rubber I couldn't imagine why there would have been any charge.

Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

yeah.. I was wondering if it is legit... I'v purchased dog toys before and have never had this happen! What a way for a postal service to make money if it's true .. Inpect a parcel for no reason? The toys are a well known brand they are sealed and brand new. The email says I have 3 days to pay or the parcel will be returned to the sender ... It doesn't even mention what the item is or who the sender was. I'm wondering if I should ignor it and see if my parcel turns up?

Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

They are Hagen Gummi Chew toys made of rubber and rope.. The other toys are also just rubber.. Like I said I don't know which toys are being held or what the problem would be . Iv purchased similar toys before and never had a problem.

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

DPD tracking 155042980007457 .... delivery attemped then it says it's being held for unknown reason..

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

If you google quarantine charge, DHL comes up as charging across a shipment for quarantine inspections.

i.e. it does not mean your specific parcel was inspected, but they are passing the cost onto all.

This may be what has happened here. It was mentioned that the charge should be queried, unless a quarantine inspection number had been provided, or a legitimate quarantine stamp on the paperwork given with the fee.

Try calling Aramex directly, and asking them for the quarantine inspection number for your parcel.

with DHL, that can have the fee waived as it is per shipment at times, not for the specific item, so they cannot give you one.

Worth a shot.

It is a bit strange that delivery was attempted, too...almost like they are going oops forgot to try for a fee. Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

I ran a google search for 'Aramex reviews'. I'm afraid to say those I have read thus far are far from glowing. I've come across a few where the items were supposedly delayed at customs, inexplicably so.

I did come across one where the package had been delayed at customs and Aramex were asking for a fee from the addressee to have it released...

We ordered some Indian dresses for my family for an upcoming wedding.A month after an order was placed we received a message from Aramex that they need to confirm a delivery address.

We resent the Irish delivery address and the phone numbers. Then Aramex told us that the package is detained at customs in UK (why UK?!!!) and we had to pay 50 pounds in custom charges.

As we were trying to figure out why the package had to clear customs in a third country (a country other than the delivery country), we received a message that the package was simply destroyed!

Avoid Aramex at all costs.You will waste your money, time, and good using their (dis)service.

http://aramex.pissedconsumer.com/package-detained-at-customs-for-weeks-then-destroyed-20140219476300...

It's probably never a good sign when a company has an actual website set-up by disgruntled customers, dedicated to discussing how bad it's performance is.

Sounds like extortion to me, not from the seller, but maybe from some dirtbag working for Aramex. From reading a few of the reviews on the above site, it sounds like they don't have very high standards as regards who they employ.

If I were you, I'd send the seller a copy of the email you received and suggest he deals with it. Be polite of course, but remind them it's their responsibilty to ensure that it arrives, and that there is no reason whatsoever for customs to stop/hold the shipment, let alone demand a fee for it's release. 

Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

@pandora_z_box_123 wrote:

DPD tracking 155042980007457 .... delivery attemped then it says it's being held for unknown reason..

They can't have it both ways. How can it be held at customs yet still delivery be attempted? Assuming delivery was attempted, according to quite a few of those reviews that's something they claimed even when no attempt was apparently made.

Aramex sounds like an absolute nightmare.

I wish you the best of luck with them.

Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

thanks 🙂 yes I think I will have to give them a call cause it SUCKS ! 😞 Along with the $40 held in Customs change email I also got another email saying something about a storage fee of $30 a DAY as well!! ??  obviously there is nothing wrong with the dog toys if they are going to release them to me if I pay $40...  geez 😞

Dear Customer,

Your freight has been stopped for a Quarantine Inspection and therefore there is a Quarantine Inspection fee to be paid (refer attached paperwork) before the freight can be released. If refusing payment please advise us within 24 hours as we have to go back to the shipper for instructions.

Please find the attached disbursement invoice for consignment      30133886506       . Please use this consignment note number as a reference when you pay or if you have any queries.

Once payment has been received your freight will be delivered.

If the payment is not received within 3 working days a Storage fee of $30 per day may apply.

Any queries please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

You can contact me on the below number to pay by credit card over the phone.

If paying by online transfer please email receipt as confirmation. Thank you

Message 10 of 59
Latest reply