Are they valid? Should I return them?

I bought three lots of 10 postage bags on a listing that says...10 new prepaid 500 gram satchel Australia post office parcel small bag w $7.45 post. On the listing was a picture of a normal 500g red and white  AP satchel.

What I received were white plastic bags, with International Post stamps Sellotaped on the bag (on top of each other) and a tracking sticker.

i admit, I did not read the description, because I looked at the words and photo in the listing and presumed that is what I would get.

Are they valid, or should I return them. I have $200 worth.

i contacted the seller and he insisted I should have read the description. Maybe I should have.

What do my fellow ebayers think?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

So what did the description say if the photo was for the red satchels?

Can you post an item number please?

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

282091617077 item number.

Like I said in my previous post, I did not read the description as I felt the listing heading and photo described it all.

Thanks

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Ouch....very sneaky.   Didn't his feedback make you look again at the listing?

I suspect that he has bought the stamps in bulk lots at considerably less than face value.

Check them very carefully to make sure that they have not been franked which would indicate that they are used.

I would take them to a post office and ask if they are valid.  Cross your fingers that they are not valid as that is the only reason you could give for opening a dispute.   They are definitely as described if not as photographed.

You could also report the listing (and any others tht he may have listed) as misleading as the description does not fit the photograph.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Thankyou Lyndal. I didn't check his feedback, it couldn't have been a more basic purchase and by the photo and listing heading,it all looked self explanatory.

i did expect that he had bought them from the post office in a huge bulk buy, which is why he was selling them cheaply.

i will update after a trip to the p.o.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@dell1312 wrote:

What I received were white plastic bags, with International Post stamps Sellotaped on the bag (on top of each other) and a tracking sticker.

Definitely ask AP as lyndal suggested, because international postage stamps don't have GST included in the price while domestic postage stamps do ( it means a $7.45 parcel actually costs $6.77, having international stamps on there could make the situation a bit iffy. I know that if I put domestic stamps on an international letter, you have to cover the postage price before the GST is taken into account, so for a $7.40 international letter, you'd have to apply at least $8.15~ in domestic postage stamps, which means technically $7.45 international stamps means overpayment to Aus Post, and no GST paid... Since GST on stamps is paid / allocated at the point of sale, I don't know how they'd handle a package like that). 

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

It says in description that they can be posted to any domestic australia address

This is the basis of whether thay are are an issue or not. If AP say no then claim a return, if AP say they are OK then there is no problem.

Whether your buyers think they look dodgy or not is another thing.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Unsure why you would buy them anyway unless they are for non ebay items as even with the cost of buying the ebay satchels using the ebay postage is cheaper, $7.30 if you buy the satchels in bulk.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I use my (very un-) periodic discount vouchers to buy AP satchels (real ones) for my non-eBay sales. Which generally brings the price per each well under $7.00.

It warms the cockles of my heart to think that eBay is subsidising my non-eBay sales.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Ouch....very sneaky.   Didn't his feedback make you look again at the listing?

I suspect that he has bought the stamps in bulk lots at considerably less than face value.

Check them very carefully to make sure that they have not been franked which would indicate that they are used.

I would take them to a post office and ask if they are valid.  Cross your fingers that they are not valid as that is the only reason you could give for opening a dispute.   They are definitely as described if not as photographed.

You could also report the listing (and any others tht he may have listed) as misleading as the description does not fit the photograph.

Does look dodgy - but I suppose if the Post Office ok's them and if the tracking numbers are valid/work then almost all is good; or at least not that bad.

But was just wondering - how much importance is usually given to photos by ebay as to veracity of a listing?  I would think that in this listing the photo of the red and white bag should guarantee that that is what you are going to receive regardless of any weasel wording in the listing.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply