Asked postage cost before buying, seller puts completely different postage

Looking at buying a large item from Sydney. I'm at Gosford. I made a point of asking seller postage cost before buying & the seller came back with a 1 word answer of $20 within minutes of asking. I purchase the item an hour or so later & in checkout remind seller that he quoted $20 postage. Minutes later he updates checkout with postage listed as $50. I've sent 4 messages in the last 30hrs stating that he needs to either adjust postage cost in checkout to match what he advised before I bought or cancel the transaction. Not 1 single response.. If it was a genuine mistake and he screwed up when quoting $20, fair enough. But I bought based on postage being $20, so if he underquoted he surely needs to give me the option to cancel. This isnt a new seller, Feedback almost 4000 at 99.8%  From what I gather, I can't cancel the transaction without co-operation from the seller. Can the seller get away with issuing a non paying bidder notice in this situation when they have blatantly mislead the buyer about postage?

I am actually in a hurry to get this item & can get it from other sellers. How long would you wait before ignoring the seller & buying elsewhere?.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I think you need to wait until tomorrow at least, not everyone is at their computer on the weekend to answer questions etc.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

My understanding (and I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected if I'm wrong!) is that since you inquired and the seller quoted you, they need to honour that transaction. 

Phone eBay (or get them on live chat) and find out your options.  There is a possibility that the seller hasn't answered due to it being a weekend, but their updating postage to $50 certainly seems a bit fishy . . .

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I am actually in a hurry to get this item & can get it from other sellers

Think you better have a look at a couple of the feedback then ie 8 days from Sydney to Sydney.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Yes you will need him to send you a mutually agree to end transaction notice  , If he does not and he opens a NPB (non paying bidder) case against you just ring Ebay and send them the email where he states postage is $20 and they should take care of it from there. 

If the email stating postage at $20 was threw ebay they will be able to see it as they have access to all emails that go threw ebay.  But you will definatly need that email as proof.

As long as you have that you will be OK , and even if you dont you will still be fine as you

can leave the seller neg feedback for being shonky.

If the transaction is cancelled buy ebay you wont be able to leave feedback but if it isnt and you get a strike . Leave appropriate feedback then appeal your strike with ebay and have it removed.

All strikes can be removed for buyers as long as you have a reason. (EG you dont trust the seller he lied.)

You will be fine it is he that will be left with a neg feedback for is deception and or mistake.

Just one other thing DO NOT MENTION FEEDBACK to the seller in any way shape or form. Its an automatic out for the seller to have his neg feedback removed. And when leaving neg feedback keep it simple like ....do not trust tells lies ....something along those lines because if ebay do not cancel the transaction and you say ... lied about postage... they might remove the feedback  because they would have deemed it not true and consider it unfair feedback.

Need any help as a buy I will try to help the rest are sellers who just think buyers are stupid whingers and the world is theres to steal from.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply