Aust Post Proposal to scrap daily delivery

tstore
Community Member
10 REPLIES 10

I read that report.

Something along the lines of delivery 3 times a week, but if you paid an extra $30 a year, your mail would be delivered daily.

I am a bit puzzled how they would manage that. They would need to sort all the mail, then go through and weed out all the mail that was for daily delivery.

Unless they issued a different postcode to those who had paid for daily delivery.

Because unless there was some identifying number on the letters or parcels themselves, then i just don't see how it could happen.

It would be easier to just put up the postage or else just charge $30 a year for delivery, outright, to everyone.

I suppose this is about privatising the mail service.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Oh yes, what a brilliant idea some desk jock has cooked up. Looks great on a computer screen but I can't see how it would work either. They would be just hoping that everyone would think ''oh well, it's only 30 bucks, less that a dollar a week", and just cough up.

What a windfall for AP that would be, with the brainchilds of it reaping a huge pay bonus. Reading the linked article, AP is still making a huge profit from it's other lines of business, parcels being one of them, now I wonder where that would be coming from lol.

Where we live, we only get mail 3 days a week now, so nothing will change for us, but it concerns me that a government run business is looking at taking away a service, but offering to replace it if you pay  a fee that you haven't ever had to pay before. This tells me that the business is too top heavy. In other words, too many chiefs and ............In any private enterprise, business owners would be happy these days if only some sections of their business were making a profit, as you cant have it from all sections all the time, or are we all getting too greedy? Simple fix to solve these problems, stop paying the top office people obscene salaries and that will reduce their costs and lift the bottom line in an instant. After running my own business for 40 years, I do know a little about it.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

ytwo000
Community Member

yer well they might scrap it for now but i bet it will be introduced one of these days..why did they suggest it in the first place?

mmmm,i smell a rat.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I think it would be workable enough if they went ahead with it (at this stage it's just a survey question to guage reaction to certain concepts, so not a fait accompli), they already have a similar system for detecting mail addressed to individual people at specific addresses for redirection and hold services (discounting other problems like storage space and backlogs).

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I read that report.

Something along the lines of delivery 3 times a week, but if you paid an extra $30 a year, your mail would be delivered daily.

I am a bit puzzled how they would manage that. They would need to sort all the mail, then go through and weed out all the mail that was for daily delivery.

Unless they issued a different postcode to those who had paid for daily delivery.

Because unless there was some identifying number on the letters or parcels themselves, then i just don't see how it could happen.

It would be easier to just put up the postage or else just charge $30 a year for delivery, outright, to everyone.

I suppose this is about privatising the mail service.

That would be a logistics nightmare.. That said it wouldn't actually bother me if I only got deliveries 3 times a week, I rarely get any mail as it is, and it's usually not anything that I absolutely need for that day.. 

Imagine all the ebay issues it could cause if/when it gets implemented.. I can see a lot of INR disputes and seller's stars being marked down 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The posties complain now how much mail they have to deliver...imagine if they have to fit it into 3 days instead of 5.

I get mail almost every day....it is more remarkable if I don't get it than if I do.  On the odd occasion when there is nothing in the box we joke that the postie had a day off.

We get 6 magazine subscriptions in this house, mostly delivered in the same week....I would feel very sorry for the postie if they all had to be delivered on the same day.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I'm sure that they have also looked at what Canada Post plan to do over the
next 5 years, that is to place Super Post Boxes at various locations in each
neighbourhood and you will have to collect letters and small parcels from them.
Larger parcels will still be delivered to your door

Barrie

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

I actually did the survey, it was on the receipt from the post office were you have the Outlet ID and the Receipt number in large type and a URL for the survey.  It must have been designed by the same mob that do the eBay surveys a typical have you stopped beating your wife survey.  eg Which would you prefer pay $30 for 3 days delivery or have no delivery and pick up at your local post office for free.  Then they can claim but we did a survey and most wanted to pay.  Yeah because there was no reasonable opinion.  All the question were a variation on the above theme - none of the opinions were without pain or how you would like Auspost to go.  The future looks more expensive or less convenient.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

just another step in the diminishing 'services' offer by postal authorities not only here, but world wide.

It is not that many decades ago (1960s/70s) that australia had TWO MAIL deliveries every day, morning and afternoon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply