Australia Post has lost my parcel

An item I bought from overseas has gone missing in Oz....specifically with Aust Post.  It was sent by registered post, I wasn't at home to sign for it so I got a card.  Unfortunately I can't collect parcels from my local post office so I have them transferred to another post office.  Unfortunately though the parcel has a number it can't be tracked by me on the AP site and only basic details can be found on other tracking sites.

Because of Aust Post changing their Parcel Transfer Request Forms on the net I had difficulty finding the right info so in the end I phoned AP customer service and the person I spoke to filled out the request for me over the phone.  She then faxed the transfer details to my local post office.  That was two weeks ago.  After some days went by I called the PO where the parcel was to transfer to but they hadn't received it.  So I phoned my local post office...and discovered nothing had been done.  It was still there.  The person I spoke to said she would process the transfer.

By the end of last week the parcel still hadn't arrived at the new location but I know from experience it's a S-L-O-W service at times so I left calling them again until Tuesday this week.  It still hadn't arrived.  I phoned my local post office and their records show it had been sent on as per the transfer request.  Unfortunately sometimes these parcels take the scenic route but nevertheless it really should have turned up at the other post office by then.  I phoned AP customer service in the hope that they might be able to see more of the tracking details....but no luck.and they advised me to 'give it a few more days'.  So I did.

Two days later and the parcel still hasn't turned up.  I phoned AP customer service and they admitted AP has lost the parcel, because it was likely that where ever it was at the moment it hadn't been scanned.  I asked what they could do to find it and it was explained to me that the only way I could get a deeper search for the parcel was if the sender lodged an enquiry.  Due to legislation blah blah blah I hadn't received it so the sender was still the owner, and for me they could nothing more to find it.  Grrrr.

I contacted the overseas seller who not surprisingly wasn't keen - the reply I got was: The shipping method (INT’L-BMP) has only limited tracking capabilities and is not insured. As such, we are not able to send a formal request to Australian Post for an investigation.  Either that or they looked at the AP website, couldn't find the right info and wisely decided not to get involved.  They then suggested I make a claim to AP to recover my money.

The thing is, the value of my misisng parcel is only around $20 but the purchase was at a bargain price (half what is usually charged overseas and a quarter of what it would cost in Oz).  I see getting my money back as a last resort as it is better to find my missing parcel.  Whether I get the money back or not I will end up paying at least double to buy the item again.  Sigh.

So, is there anything I can do go get AP to pull their finger out and really look for my item?

And....failing that, what do I have to do to get my money back....and what are my chances?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I would hazard a guess and say AP has misunderstood the transfer request and returned it to sender without scanning it.

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

another ap stuff up     i am still waiting on 2 parcels 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

My understanding is your seller doesn't lodge an enquiry with Australia Post. They lodge an enquiry with the company that they shipped with. That company will then chase Aussie Post. 

All of that chasing may or may not find your parcel though 😞

ETA - Seller. Not buyer. Get it right crazy lol

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Either the seller or the postal company will have to refund the buyer in this case. Good luck 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

had this problem last month

parcel was never found or scanned in as it was supposed to be, they admitted fault but said they dont pay out for loss or damage any more even if it is their fault, and they will only deal with the sender.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@streetbeastshop wrote:

had this problem last month

parcel was never found or scanned in as it was supposed to be, they admitted fault but said they dont pay out for loss or damage any more even if it is their fault, and they will only deal with the sender.

Oh (insert swear word here).  I thought it might be something like that...especially as AP told me my purchase technically still belongs to the seller. With that in mind they would probably send the money to them instead...if the gods were smiling and the wind was blowing in the right direction.

It's not the seller's fault but how would I got making a claim through PayPal as an alternative?  Do they issue refunds due entirely to Australia Post's incompetence?

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

If you open a Paypal dispute then the seller has to prove that your parcel has been delivered to the address on the transaction page. If they can do that then you may still be able to get a refund bt it will take a lot of time on the phone to achieve that, the refund would be paid by Paypal, not the seller. If the seller cannot provide the proof then you will win the dispute and the seller would have to cover the cost.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

If you open a Paypal dispute then the seller has to prove that your parcel has been delivered to the address on the transaction page. If they can do that then you may still be able to get a refund bt it will take a lot of time on the phone to achieve that, the refund would be paid by Paypal, not the seller. If the seller cannot provide the proof then you will win the dispute and the seller would have to cover the cost.

There was certainly an attempted delivery, but as the parcel had to be signed for and I wasn't there, I have the AP card to prove it which also gives the time and date (next day) that it could be collected from the local post office.  My local post office definitely had it too.  I think on the carrier company website the seller used it says Delivery Not Possible.

I don't want to get the seller in trouble.  I'm annoyed with them for not specifying they use registered post (I would never have bought anything from them if I'd known) but aside from that, the missing parcel is definitely Aust Post's fault.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Also...before I go down the PayPal route I think I've worked out which arm of the carrier the seller used. (fingers crossed!) Anyway, I've given it a go once again and have now contacted the carrier asking if they will request Aust Post do another search.

Might as well try everything......

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply