Bad emails after purchase

shahmink
Community Member

I purchased a couple of items from different sellers for my 2 year old nephew Jesse. When paying in Paypal I changed the postal address to where Jesse lives so it got sent directly to him. Next day I was inundated with emails to my personal email address marked ATTN Jesse. They were advertising a host of different online shops. I didn't know that my personal email address is given to sellers when I purchase an item. If they want to contact me they should be using the internal ebay email NOT my personal one. I am now concerned that bad sellers are using my personal details without permission. I contacted ebay but they said they can't trace which seller it was. Anyone else had problems like this??

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

every seller and every buyer has the details of anyone they are in a transaction with.

all you need to do is to block the sender in your email program if you dont want to receive them,

or sometimes at the bottom of an unsolicited email is an 'opt out' link

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I hate loath detest sellers that send you stuff to your private email after buying from them.

So set up another email address JUST for ebay and add that to you ebay account and keep your personal one just as a personal addy.

JHS is one of the worst for doing this and it should NOT be allowed.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

You can probably figure out which seller it is by looking at the products in the online stores they are sending you spam for.  Then report as spam to your ISP and block.  If there are enough complaints about unsolicited mail ISP's eventually block all mail coming from the site.  You can also do this yourself, but many sites will just slightly alter their email to overcome this.  Only the ISP can block any mail that comes from that particular domain.

If they use an anonymous email (like gmail) all you can do is mark each one as spam. 

Legitimate emails always have an opt out/unsubsribe option and usually some sort of information about how you opted in. 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply