Beware of sellers wanting to sell over the phone.

pns1975
Community Member

Yes i made a huge mistake. I wanted to buy a 60L car fridge but there were no measurments on the add, so i messaged the seller. They asked for a contact number to discuss any questions. We were happy with what we were told and said we would go back on ebay and buy. We were offered a good discount if we did it over the phone seeing we were talking to them anyway. BIG MISTAKE.

We didn't even think, we were stupid. We can't complain about delivery time, it was there in 2 days. BUT, it is NOT 60L but closer to 45L. I contacted them via ebay and my husband contacted them by email, have spoken to 2 different people and told they would call back, but they haven't. There was no return address on the box either. I realize we will probably have to wear this mistake but want to warn others of people ripping you off by doing this sort of thing. I only wish i could leave feedback or can i name and shame?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Caveat Emptor

Not what you want to hear, but you purchased a car fridge outside eBay so you aren't covered for a SNAD or any other claim.

If you paid with plastic you could try talking with your bank to try to get the payment reversed.

You can't name and shame, it will be removed.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

If you used Paypal you still have buyer protection as long as you sent it as a payment for goods. If you paid by bank transfer then you are on your own and will presumably never pay that way again. Buying over the phone was perfectly alright as long as you paid using Paypal or a credit card.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

We paid via credit card. We are going to report them to ebay today, just to make them aware of what these people have done and to try to prevent them from doing it to someone else. The product works fine,(so far) it just isn't the size we asked for. And yes we have learnt a valueable lesson.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay can/will not do anything as the item was not bought on ebay.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I have reported them to ebay, i told them i accept that we made a mistake and that they cannot do anything for us but i wanted them to know what these people were doing. These people will not be getting away with it.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Ebay can/will not do anything as the item was not bought on ebay.

Spot on there.....thumb.png

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

But they have got away with it.   Your report was a waste of time.

What part of "the item was not bought on ebay" do you not understand?

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If you used your credit card why didn't you ask your bank to do a chargeback when you first received it rather than using it so you can no longer do that as you cannot return it in the same condition as when received?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

But they have got away with it.   Your report was a waste of time.

What part of "the item was not bought on ebay" do you not understand?

Lyndal, the item was listed on ebay, but sold off ebay. Isn't that a 'no-no' on ebay anymore?

While the buyer really doesnt have a leg to stand on now, im sure ebay wont like missing out on their cut of the sale!

Has it all changed since i was last here a few years ago?

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply