Buyer's Fees

gwankada
Community Member

Hi Guys. Do Buyers pay any fees or charges in any type of purchase? If so, do you have a link? I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm sure I saw a proviso that there is a 10% charge on the final purchase price, at an auction. Is this correct and are there any other fees for successful purchases. I know that there is a 10% charge for stamp duty (or similar) if making a purchase from overseas. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Buyer's Fees

There is no Buyer's Premium on eBay, @gwankada.

If you were to purchase from a private auction house as k1ooo has mentioned, and that auction house includes as part of its terms that there is a Buyer's Premium (and what that Buyer's Premium would be), you as the buyer would pay the fee.

But eBay is not a private auction house.

If you purchase from an overseas sellers through the eBay platform, you as the buyer will be charged an additional amount that will at the very least include 10% GST. You can read more about this GST charge in this thread. You may also be charged additional charges, such as when the overseas item is to be delivered to Australia via the Global Shipping Program. There's a plethora of information about the GSP on these boards, but the best thread for correct information is this thread.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Buyer's Fees

@gwankada wrote:

Hi Guys. Do Buyers pay any fees or charges in any type of purchase? If so, do you have a link? I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm sure I saw a proviso that there is a 10% charge on the final purchase price, at an auction. Is this correct and are there any other fees for successful purchases. I know that there is a 10% charge for stamp duty (or similar) if making a purchase from overseas. Thanks.

the 10% on the total on overseas purchases is Australian GST.

There is no GST charged on eBay items bought from Australia, only overseas.

Private auction houses are known to have what is known as a โ€œBuyers Premiumโ€ applied to the final price.  This varies from auction house to auction house.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Buyer's Fees

gwankada
Community Member

So who pays this "Buyer's Premium"? The seller or the buyer? 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Buyer's Fees

There is no Buyer's Premium on eBay, @gwankada.

If you were to purchase from a private auction house as k1ooo has mentioned, and that auction house includes as part of its terms that there is a Buyer's Premium (and what that Buyer's Premium would be), you as the buyer would pay the fee.

But eBay is not a private auction house.

If you purchase from an overseas sellers through the eBay platform, you as the buyer will be charged an additional amount that will at the very least include 10% GST. You can read more about this GST charge in this thread. You may also be charged additional charges, such as when the overseas item is to be delivered to Australia via the Global Shipping Program. There's a plethora of information about the GSP on these boards, but the best thread for correct information is this thread.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Buyer's Fees

in private auction house auctions:

- if there is a buyers premium the buyers pay the buyers premium

- sellers pay a commission to the auction house

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Buyer's Fees

Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply