Buying from same seller with different eBay accounts?

an_774352
Community Member

Hi,

I have a $5 coupon from eBay (pretty sure it's a promotion) and so does my sister and friend but they have different expiry dates and codes. There's a 15 pack of highlighters that I'm interested in getting that's $45, but I can also get the same by buying 3 x 5 packs for $17. My sister and friend aren't going to buy anything, so I was thinking of using their accounts to buy 3 packs to make use of the coupon so I only have to pay $12 each and free shipping.

Would this be violating any rules or be suspicious to the seller? They would see 3 purchases from 3 different eBay accounts and email addresses, but from the same name and postal address.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Do you all live at the same address?

Have you all been successfully using the same shipping address in the past?

If yes, there should be no problem.

However, to be really safe it would be better if you used the usual name and shipping address of each of the accounts you are using.

Are you sure the different vouchers all cover the items you want to buy?  They probably have different T & Cs so you need to be sure you can buy the items with each voucher.

I have 2 ebay accounts and I have bought from the same seller at times with no problem.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@an_774352 wrote:

Would this be violating any rules or be suspicious to the seller? They would see 3 purchases from 3 different eBay accounts and email addresses, but from the same name and postal address.

It's not a breach of any policies, but it's difficult to say if the seller would find it weird or sus. A very large volume seller probably wouldn't even notice, while a smaller seller who does all the post-sale tasks themselves might think it a bit weird. I've had buyers do similar and I did find it strange (though I have always been well aware of the possibility coupon codes were involved, so just completed the transactions without querying with the buyers). 

If concerned, there's no harm in just dropping them a line to say something like, to make the most use of an eBay promotion, you'll be making purchases from multiple accounts, but they'll be going to the same address and they're welcome to post all together if it's easier. If they wouldn't have cared, no harm, no foul, if they may have, this will give them a definite reason straight off the bat, and they can decide whether they'll combine the orders or send individually. Don't be afraid to talk with sellers to find out how they feel about things - they're (mostly) just people. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Alright thanks. It's a large seller with an external website as well. I'll probably just drop a message about the purchases coming from multiple accounts!
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

My friend lives in a different address. Yep the T & Cs don't exclude those items.

Did the seller combine the orders together or did you buy them a few days apart?
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I was buying from 2 accounts because we wanted 2 copies of a TV series....one for me and one for my daughter.

The two different sales gave me a better discount as it was a fixed amount, not a % amount....much the same as you are doing.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply