Cannot leave feedback after resolution?

Guys, think with me for a second.

I recently bought an item that I needed ugently. I bought locally due to the faster shipping.

I noticed the seller never sent me the item. It was at "Paid but not sent".

It had passed the due date. I opened up an eBay request. Almost immediately, the refund was issued, and the transaction was removed from my purchase history.

I cannot leave a negative feedback, as a result of the removal from my purchase history.

The question is, why can't or shouldn't I?

The seller had wasted my time. He had ignored my messages (I messaged the seller "gooles05" THREE times throughout the purchase) and did not get ANY response, let alone a courteous explanation on the situation. The fact that the refund was immediately issued implies that the seller IS active, he knows he was being DISHONEST, and right now, he walked away scott free.

As a community-based marketplace, I expect the ability to warn potential customers of the issue. This was proven not to be my present situation. What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the transaction has disappeared from your Purchase History it means that the item was removed by ebay which is why the refund would have been immediate.   The item does not disappear from your Purchase History as a result of a dispute whether it was resolved or not.

Have you checked if the seller is still registered on ebay or whether you have received an email from ebay telling you that the item has been removed?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If the item has disappeared from your purchase history, then eBay has done it. As you got your refund immediately it is highly unlikely the seller refunded you voluntarily.

It therefore no longer exists, so it is not in the system to leave feedback for.

If you check the seller, you might find they are no longer a registered user, or now have no items for sale (which means they have been suspended). In which cases, feedback is useless.

Edit: Snap

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

dave the seller is still active with nearly 200 listings so haven't been suspended but may have died thus the no response 

SNAP

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I think you guys are right. It was done by eBay immediately, then.

However, the account still appears to be active (the seller recieved 10 positive feedback this month already). He is definitely NOT suspended, and he definitely still have items for sale, so I'm still annoyed at why I can't leave a negative feedback (I really want to ward people away from having to experience the same issue!!!)

Anyway, if his account did get suspended, I would have been happier. Seems not to be the case.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Sometimes there are other ways to find a listing... have you tried the link from your personal email account when you paid for the item "Order:..."  or before you paid (if there was one) "Your Invoice for...."  The link to the item will still be there, see if still it links to the listing.  Will give you a clearer idea if the listing has been removed or not.

You can also try the link in Paypal, in the transaction details.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

If the listing was removed by eBay, you would have received an email about it, as they only do that when there is potential fraud involved, sending out emails advising of this possibility.

The insta-refund when a request is opened is actually not very unusual, when you consider both that eBay allows sellers to set it up to be automated for items up to a specific value, or - more importantly - the fact that many sellers will opt to refund immediately in order to close the case. I myself have issued refunds within minutes of a request being opened (not always, but in some circumstances it's the most appropriate action - replacements are immediately off the table when a request is opened, so for a genuine INR, refund becomes the only option).

Obviously I do actually send all of the items that are purchased from me (also marking them as posted on eBay), and I don't ignore buyer messages, either, so that is a concern.

The most recent positive FB they have is for an item purchased on 11th March, and their stars for shipping time is actually below average - interestingly, the pos FB they have are for items listed on other sites, with the item location stated as the US if the item was listed on the US site, and then again item location is listed as the UK if listed on the UK site, then for a listing in Euros the location was Germany (presumably that was listed on the German site), so they either have warehouses all over the world, or they are dropshipping and/or misrepresenting the item location to suit whichever site they are listing on.

Anyway, it is quite common for the listing to disappear from purchase history after a dispute resolution or cancellation. It doesn't necessarily mean it's removed from eBay, or that you can't leave feedback - if you didn't get an email from eBay stating that they had removed the listing, go here, and click the link on the right to leave feedback, as you will probably find it there: http://pages.ebay.com.au/services/forum/feedback.html

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Yep, digital. I just received two refiunds tonight for items not received - one seller-instigated (as we had a conversation where she asked if I was sure I'd checked the letterbox, asked at the post office - and checked with a neighbour to make sure) Both listings gone from my purchase history. 

The other was an ebay auto-refund as it was instantaneous - and I was able to leave (positive) feedback for both sellers, the post screw-ups not being either of their faults. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply