Combined postage

I recently bought two items from the same seller.
I have contacted seller twice over the past 3 days asking if I could combine postage. I DIDNTask this prior to sale ending and I KNOW the seller doesn't HAVE to offer combined postage.
However...the seller just hasn't responded.
What do I do I this situation?
Do I wait for a response?
Am I obliged to pay anyway...even though I am awaiting an answer?
I normally always pay immediately...don't want to get filed as a non payer.....never had a seller just not respond to me before when I'm trying to pay
Many thanks
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Combined postage

Yes you should pay anyway although lack of response to communication is meant to be a valid reason for not doing so. You know you should have asked if they would give a combined invoice discount before you bought but as you didn't the ball is in the seller's court, they can combine them and not offer a discount or just leave them as individual transactions.

If it were me I would pay for each one separately and would input the address of a friend or relative in checkout for one of them so the seller had to send individually and would also have to pay the 30c flat fee for Paypal twice.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Combined postage

Ok thanks.
Well aware it's my fault for not asking first....I truth I didn't actually expect to win both...the sale price was extremely low...think the seller is hoping to make up a bit of the lost profit on the postage.

Subsequent to you posting this...seller has sent a ebay generated "revised" postage amount...which is the exactly the same as postage for two separate items...that went to my email...but not to ebay messages...so didn't realise it was there right away.

Thats their answer I guess. Within their rights...but not going to leave a good rating for communication.....or...if the items come I the one satchel and the price is a lot lower....postage.

Still, the original fault is mine.

Thanks for your help
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Combined postage

If you pay on a combined invoice then you are agreeing to them being sent together, the only way they should send in different parcels is if you uncombine them and make separate payments.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Combined postage

I regularly buy paper craft items, many of which are tiny with very little weight and the seller(s) offer combined postage.  Most of the items have $1 to $1.50 postage each so when I buy 25 items the postage can easily total $25 to $35. The plain white envelope, a few cellophane bags (usually re-cycled) and actual postage would rarely cost above $5.  In order to request combined postage you have to commit to buy. I do get a reduction after requesting an invoice but the postage component Is still in the region of 300 to 400% above standard costs. Is it acceptable for sellers to do this as it's a big mark up on the item price?  Thanks for your time. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Combined postage

This thread is SEVEN years old, and you won't get an answer from phorum_junkie as she no longer posts on these boards.

Most of the information posted here is out of date, like prices and eBay policies forcing immediate payment regardless of members' wishes or settings.

The prudent route would be to contact the seller before buying and negotiate postage at that time, not after you've committed to buy. What a seller charges is entirely up to the seller, who probably has overheads above and beyond the cost of posting.

And to find a more current thread or start your own if you have a question.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Combined postage

Re: Combined postage

jenxy09

in reply to phorum_junkie*

I regularly buy paper craft items, many of which are tiny with very little weight and the seller(s) offer combined postage.  Most of the items have $1 to $1.50 postage each so when I buy 25 items the postage can easily total $25 to $35. The plain white envelope, a few cellophane bags (usually re-cycled) and actual postage would rarely cost above $5.  In order to request combined postage you have to commit to buy. I do get a reduction after requesting an invoice but the postage component Is still in the region of 300 to 400% above standard costs. Is it acceptable for sellers to do this as it's a big mark up on the item price?  Thanks for your time. 

Since there hasn't been a topic about this for a while and it is a short thread as well as the OP identifying a issue that we have to deal with, I'll reply here.

Hi jenxy09, I think that  300% to 400% above actual postage costs is way too much. With what you've described regardiing the iitems you buy, that's way too much! When I was selling I'd gear myself up so that I could provide the best service I could while making use of materials at hand.  And I knew where to source good solid packing material that was economical for me. At the time I was within walking distance to the post office so I'd post items as soon as I could. It was also on the way home after work so no problem to pop in on the way.  If  the P.O. wasn't in close proximity to where I lived or worked, I would have stated in the auction that my mailing days were such and such.

I hope you manage to get items with reasonablle post costs.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply