Dangerous Electrc plugs

I bought  an Item on Ebay  that came with a charging cable and an Electric plug, This type of plug has caused the death of a woman using one. It is small with two pins that have holes in them and a tiny green sticker near the pins, These plugs have been banned from sale by the AUS Gov which was shown on Cannel 7 TV.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Dangerous Electrc plugs

Every listing has a "Report this listing/item" I suggest you find that link and follow it through - immediately.

Marina.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Dangerous Electrc plugs

j*oono
Community Member

It is so difficult for ebay to keep track of the cables and plugs that are being sold.  Just don't chance it.  

Only buy cables and electrical appliances within Australia.  Then you know they have met our standards and are safe.

Joono
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Dangerous Electrc plugs

Unfortunately j*oono that's still no guarantee that the items will be approved for use in Australia, as I've noticed that a hell of a lot of local sellers are flogging these cheap unapproved Chinese imports as well (and risking prosecution and massive fines for doing so).

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Dangerous Electrc plugs

Homes with cut out switches would stop this wouldn't they, or those multi_boards that have a cut out button.

I don't know if the story mentioned whether that poor lady had any protection like this.

Not that I recomend use of these dangerous plugs at all, but all houses are supposed to have a cut out switch in the mains box.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Dangerous Electrc plugs

Yes Annie, a safety switch in the meter box would almost certainly have prevented that woman's unfortunate death, but while they are compulsory in new homes and have been for several years, there are still many older homes which have no protection against electrocution fitted. Why the various state govts haven't since made them compulsory in all homes is beyond me.

Also, while some power distribution boards have built-in ELCB or RCD protection, the vast majority of them don't and the buttons on those are there only to reset their over-current or surge protection circuitry, which does absolutely nothing to prevent their users from suffering fatal electric shocks.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Dangerous Electrc plugs

WHY DOES EBAY let them do it. ?????

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Dangerous Electrc plugs

eBay staff can't patrol every single listing on eBay, that's impossible.
If you think that a seller is selling dangerous plugs then report the listing to eBay using the Report button.
 photo GRUMPYCATSIGN_zpsa8f18bba.jpg
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply