Disappointed with SPOIL YOURSELF 20% OFF SALE

I was shopping in the Networking & Storage section under the Electronics category. I generally ensure that I'm getting a good deal by searching for the same item elsewhere. This time, out of curiosity, I also checked out the purchase history of the item. I was annoyed and felt cheated that days before the item was selling for about 10% less than what it was offered for during the promotion period. I then checked out many more of the seller's items. They had done the same thing .. increased the price just prior to the promotional period. Not all items I checked but most of them were increased in priced, I believe, to lessen the benefit of the discount. Disappointing and possibly illegal. Alright, there may be a legitimate reason for the price rise but it sounds fishy to me.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I bought a high priced item before Christmas when eBay had a 10% sale happening. I'd left the item on my watch list and I noticed a few days after the sale had finished, that paricular item had increased in price. A few days later it increased again. I'm just glad I bought it when I did! Even if eBay offered another 10% a week later, the sale price would have been more than the price of the item when I looked at it.

Sellers increase prices for any reasons, most are not because they are dodgy. Sometimes they might have a new supplier who charged more for the wholesale price. Sometimes their regular wholesaler may have increased their price. That's why it pays to shop around.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Who is offering the discount...ebay or the seller?

If it is the seller then it is a bit suspect.  If it is ebay then it is again the seller taking advantage.

You can hardly say you are disappointed in the sale if it is ebay funded....it is the seller taking advantage, not ebay doing anything wrong.

Just look elsewhere for your items if you don't like the seller's tactics.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Ebay is offering the spoil yourself promotion not the sellers. So one possible reason is that the seller might have had a sale of their own on and it might have finished with prices going back to normal prior to ebays spoil yourself campaign. I don't see how that is illegal.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I bought a high priced item before Christmas when eBay had a 10% sale happening. I'd left the item on my watch list and I noticed a few days after the sale had finished, that paricular item had increased in price. A few days later it increased again. I'm just glad I bought it when I did! Even if eBay offered another 10% a week later, the sale price would have been more than the price of the item when I looked at it.

Sellers increase prices for any reasons, most are not because they are dodgy. Sometimes they might have a new supplier who charged more for the wholesale price. Sometimes their regular wholesaler may have increased their price. That's why it pays to shop around.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

...and sometimes, sellers might have read here on the boards that if stuff isn't selling, increasing the price (rather than reducing it) can get it sold ... that one beats me, but if it works, it works!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

...and sometimes, sellers might have read here on the boards that if stuff isn't selling, increasing the price (rather than reducing it) can get it sold ... that one beats me, but if it works, it works!

I don't understand why either, but yes it does seem to work. I've done it myself. I had some BIN items listed which I thought were a reasonable price &  didn't sell any for 2 months. Upped the price by $10 & they were all sold within 3 days.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

It's funny how it works. I had several items relisting over and over for 2 years. Just cheap things at $8.99. I increased the price to $9.99 and they all sold on the next relist!

I use auctions with a buy it now option, so best match doesn't really come into play for me, but I'm wondering for those that only have BINs whether increasing the price bumps the item up the page a bit.

Funny how every time you relist, ebay tells you to drop your price!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@gsx_1400 wrote:

I was shopping in the Networking & Storage section under the Electronics category. I generally ensure that I'm getting a good deal by searching for the same item elsewhere. This time, out of curiosity, I also checked out the purchase history of the item. I was annoyed and felt cheated that days before the item was selling for about 10% less than what it was offered for during the promotion period. I then checked out many more of the seller's items. They had done the same thing .. increased the price just prior to the promotional period. Not all items I checked but most of them were increased in priced, I believe, to lessen the benefit of the discount. Disappointing and possibly illegal. Alright, there may be a legitimate reason for the price rise but it sounds fishy to me.

The seller may not of increased the price he/she may of had a 10% off sale or even buy 2+ items and get 10% off and most people buy multiple items. Sellers constantly try to find something that works

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply