Does ebay ever act on shill bidding?

Item 153471126412 and others all relisted after being sold to the highest buyer with a feedback of 42 with 100% bids with just the same seller. This seller automatically relists after sold. Seems like a friend/relative to me. Just retracts after sold so no fees on either side. Shill bidding maybe at its worse but ebay do nothing. Ebay trust and safety not really working is ebay cannot pick this up after reporting it. Is it really worth reporting anything or have some ebayers had success there? 

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Even when shill bidding has been proved the most that I have seen ebay do is cancel the seller's auctions and restrict them to selling BIN items.

Even then, I think the restriction is only for 2 or 3 months. It's nothing long term. You may remember a few years back, there was a lengthy thread about a seller of "Thankga" art works. I think they are Tibetan or Nepalese art works. She was about as obvious as it got when it came to shill bidding and feedback manipulation. A text book example.

I can't remember what her ID is now, but lets say it was ratbag1. She created several other account, ratbag2, ratbag3 and ratbag4 (the names from memory could have been her first and last name with a number at the end, e.g anniesmith, so very obvious it was the same person). Regardless, the IDs were almost identical. It didn't take a genius to work out they were the same person.

Ratbag1 was the main account, but it was obvious 2 3 and 4 needed some feedback, so she would list a couple of items on each account, which she would buy from her main account and then leave feedback for them, to give them glowing feedback as a seller. That was how we learned who her aliases were. It was also back in the days where you could check someone's history on WatchCount.

It wasn't hard to keep track of the shill accounts because every time the account would get a new feedback, the number for the high bidder would go up. These accounts also had countless retractions. It was rare the shill accounts won, unless she wanted to up their feedback a bit.

I lost track of how many times I reported those accounts. I do know there were a number of other members here who reported the accounts as well. After something like 6 months of reporting, suddenly all her listings were BIN and her sales plummeted. In fact, I thnk she went from something like 20 sales a day, to 1 a week. I kept watching the accounts, and it was only 2 or 3 months later that she was listing auctions again and the same cycle picked up where it left off.

So for the OP, does eBay do anything about shill bidding? The answer is, NO. They couldn't care less................unless you or I decided to do it, then they'd come down on us like a ton of bricks and probably suspend us for life for a first offence.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Yes they need to be reported and preferably by different members.

Then I think it can only be acted upon if eBay has proof such as accounts from same IP address.

eBay can't close an account on heresay or likelyhood.

image host
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Iโ€™ve reported it... if others report it too, then something might get done. 

Itโ€™s as blunt as a brick to the face, they havenโ€™t hidden their activity very well ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Or like a snowball in the face from a sexy person.

The account with 42 feedback is definitely sus.

Bidding on all types of items from this seller, winning and relists.

image host
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Not a very smart seller if the shill account keeps winning the items. Kind of defeats the purpose really!

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

In recent years I've reported quite a few sellers whose shill bidding is blatent like this (multiple listings won by the same low FB account, then once ended immediately relisted and bid on again by the same shill account), and I've never seen any obvious signs that eBay have acted on the report (e.g listings suddenly all cancelled, or accounts closed).

eBay like to give lip-service to the "efforts" they make to "protect" buyers, but at the end of the day it's higher profits for them when the sale price is pushed upwards.

After observing this sort of thing for many years now, I've arrived at the conclusion that eBay simply do not care, and any action they do take is limited to soft warnings.  It would probably take mulitple reports of a repeat offender for actual action to be taken.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Yes ebay have done nothing as after getting a bid a couple of days ago, feedback 42 has stepped back in today to increase the price yet again

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

They have - it might be worth reporting them to eBay again!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Even when shill bidding has been proved the most that I have seen ebay do is cancel the seller's auctions and restrict them to selling BIN items.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Even then, I think the restriction is only for 2 or 3 months. It's nothing long term. You may remember a few years back, there was a lengthy thread about a seller of "Thankga" art works. I think they are Tibetan or Nepalese art works. She was about as obvious as it got when it came to shill bidding and feedback manipulation. A text book example.

I can't remember what her ID is now, but lets say it was ratbag1. She created several other account, ratbag2, ratbag3 and ratbag4 (the names from memory could have been her first and last name with a number at the end, e.g anniesmith, so very obvious it was the same person). Regardless, the IDs were almost identical. It didn't take a genius to work out they were the same person.

Ratbag1 was the main account, but it was obvious 2 3 and 4 needed some feedback, so she would list a couple of items on each account, which she would buy from her main account and then leave feedback for them, to give them glowing feedback as a seller. That was how we learned who her aliases were. It was also back in the days where you could check someone's history on WatchCount.

It wasn't hard to keep track of the shill accounts because every time the account would get a new feedback, the number for the high bidder would go up. These accounts also had countless retractions. It was rare the shill accounts won, unless she wanted to up their feedback a bit.

I lost track of how many times I reported those accounts. I do know there were a number of other members here who reported the accounts as well. After something like 6 months of reporting, suddenly all her listings were BIN and her sales plummeted. In fact, I thnk she went from something like 20 sales a day, to 1 a week. I kept watching the accounts, and it was only 2 or 3 months later that she was listing auctions again and the same cycle picked up where it left off.

So for the OP, does eBay do anything about shill bidding? The answer is, NO. They couldn't care less................unless you or I decided to do it, then they'd come down on us like a ton of bricks and probably suspend us for life for a first offence.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply