EBay keeps refunding me. I can't pay for item.

Hi. I have won an auction for some books. Everytime I pay for it the money goes through and then a few minutes it is refunded to me and the item remains unpaid for.

I have tried 4 different methods of payment and they all do the same. I have purchased other items since then with no problem.

Ebay keeps sending me notifications to pay for the item or it will be cancelled. Surely eBay can see my payment 4 times and they are refunding me. Has the seller blocked me other something?

What is going on? Thanks.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

4 different methods? What are they please? 

Have you tried contacting eBay via chat to discuss your issues with this payment? What did they say/do? 

Perhaps also let the seller know you are having issues. 

Apart from PayPal accounts not matching up or are inactive (maybe stolen eBay and PayPal account), I really don’t know why you would be having difficulties trying to pay. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I have no idea either, but I remember that some time ago someone came here with the same issue.

Can you tell us the item number please?

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

The problem may be at the seller's end. I'd do as Jane suggested and contact ebay chat. Plus message the seller.

I once had a problem with a paypal payment of mine not going through properly so I paid via bank deposit. Turned out the problem was with the seller's paypal account, not mine, and I ended up losing my money as the seller's ebay account was soon closed down. Quite a few of us lost money, actually, and that was with a seller with a previous 'okay' history.

So  at this point, try to check out what is happening before you attempt to pay again.

You'd think if the seller was doing the refunding that they would also cancel the sale.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

eBay item number:

Thanks.
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

The seller has low feedback, possibly a hijacked account? Maybe that's why you cannot pay.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks. I will try to chat with ebay.

First I used paypal balance then refunded. Then tried paypal using my card. Then just use my card on ebay itself. I then tried afterpay and paypal payin4. All refunded.

I haven't spoken to seller yet and they haven't contacted me. I feel a bit embarrassed because I bid on an item and it should be paid for.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I note you have bought with another account, so obviously you have a great deal of eBay experience, so I just don’t know why you bought from a seller with 7 feedback of which 4 are negative and 1 is neutral? 

Anyway, that aside, I truly believe you should run away FAST from this transaction.  
Do Not Pay….. I don’t think you’ll get your item. 

It’s either a hijacked account, or a fraudulent seller.  I’m guessing eBay is already on it hence why your payments keep bouncing back.  

Cancel your bid. Let this one go.  

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

To be honest, I would run away too. I think eBay might have some mechanism to detect scammers or hijacked accounts and prevent buyers from paying? I don't know, but I somehow think you are lucky that the payment didn't go through because something is not right with the seller's account.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I don't think that it's a hijacked account, just someone who has no clue what they are doing (hijacked accounts don't tend to sell a few volumes of manga at auction, at any rate, and all their previous items were similarly themed, going back more than a year ago).

The 4 neg FB they have is all from the same buyer, but it was for cancelling an order; I'm not sure if that would be the case here, I know cancelled orders can still be paid for (I've had it happen after a buyer-requested cancellation), but usually only if no payment has already been made, if a seller cancels a paid-for transaction, the item usually disappears from the purchase history afterwards.

One of the more recent positives says "this seller is always great" which is a bit weird on a seller who's had a handful of transactions and no previous FB from that buyer, but it could be just a saved comment left for everyone the buyer purchases from. 

Either way, I wouldn't be losing any sleep over not being able to pay, the seller certainly doesn't seem to be taking issue with it either (assuming they haven't contacted the buyer or canceled the transaction after 5 days). 

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply