Ebay messages that are "Inspired by your searches"

In the past it was possible to delete interests from one's ebay account. Interests stored by ebay based on a member's searches. That feature has long gone, probably because too many of us were regularly deleting them.

We are still able to remove recently viewed but that doesn't stop ebay's emails that they state are "Inspired by your searches".

Deleting history and clearing caches etc doesn't stop these suggestions.

Nearly every day I receive an email (on another account) with 'angel' suggestions. Yes I did make the mistake of searching for an angel as a short cut to one of my listings. A long time ago. I have learned my lesson and won't be using search as a shortcut again. I don't want to buy one or any other of the myriad products ebay has so helpfully found that remotely relate to angels.

What will make ebay stop with the angels?

If anyone has found a way to stop ebay's misguided suggestions this would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I either search while logged out, or use this account to search. This is purely a posting account and I never check the email address attached to it. Therefore, I don't see the spam.

Other than that, just delete the emails. It will eventually stop.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

You can always just opt out of receiving the emails all together:

https://accountsettings.ebay.com.au/uas?_trksid=p2060353.m2034.l3911

On the right, under Account Preferences, click communication preferences, then scroll down to marketing communications, though it will also opt you out of other types of emails. 

(Note: Advertisement preferences toggles on or off the option for eBay to use your site activity to show you "relevant" ads elsewhere on the 'net, it doesn't have anything to do with marketing emails, but probably worth checking if you want that on/off anyway).

The alternative is to create a filter that sends any email with chosen keywords or phrases in them directly to spam. They might still be sent, but you won't ever have to see them. 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks, especially for tip re creating a filter.

In the past I'd been reluctant to stop ebay emails because they included the promotional, ie free listings, offers. Now we are no longer hoping for emails with offers of extra free listings, there isn't any point allowing ebay emails through. I can't think of any reason to keep them coming so advertising preferences now fixed.

My Adblock has been very effective. The only website it doesn't work on for me is SBS!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I think it was the Gruen Transfer that had a dramatisation of how the internet worked if it were displayed in terms of someone walking into a building.

(Lots of harassing strangers tugging on one's arm...)

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply