Ebay plus FREE RETURN POSTAGE is a lie

I am an ebay plus member

Bought a part on ebay and thought it was a set, but only one arrived.

Request for return via ebay as I needed a set. Seller did not issue a return label as they claimed it to be "change of mind". I reminded seller that free return postage was part of the deal as an ebay plus member. 

Seller tells me to take it up with ebay.

Not wanting to miss the 30-day return deadline, I paid for return postage and got the refund from the seller.

I contacted customer service and 6 customer service reps later, ebay is still unable to resolve the issue.

The customer service reps are easily confused about what I'm seeking refund for despite clearly stating "RETURN POSTAGE REFUND". Customer service reps are unfamiliar with ebay plus promises, they even suggested I should've asked for a return postage instead of posting the item first. WOW. I explained that due to delays in postage I wanted to make sure the item was returned to the seller on time and customer rep says you should contact the seller to resolve. WOW.

It is an endless circle. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME

The phone number on the ebay plus help page directs you to a voicemail message and hangs up afterwards. RUDE.

EBAY PLUS IS A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Was the item you bought an ebay plus item?

You do not get the perks of ebay plus on just any item....and you have to follow the rules to get the perks.

If the seller was talking about change of mind returns it would appear that the item may not be covered under ebay Plus.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

The phone number doesn't work because the call centre is closed.

Something to do with COVID-19.

I realise that shouldn't affect you, but as you've found, it does.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Yes it is an ebay plus item. Seller is unfamiliar with the ebay plus perks, which is a massive red flag.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@jhessikkacollection wrote:
Yes it is an ebay plus item. Seller is unfamiliar with the ebay plus perks, which is a massive red flag.

Nor are you, it would seem.

eBay guarantee free returns, not the seller, so the seller is well within their rights to refer you to eBay.

Your issue is with eBay. They are the one you paid for the 'perks'. The seller has nothing to do with it.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Did you just message the seller to arrange the return, or open an official return? As it sounds like a proper return wasn't actually started if the seller was able to classify it as a change of mind return (no idea if it is or isn't). 

If you only messaged, then no postage label generation by eBay would have been possible, if the latter, you should be able to persist with eBay. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I think that is very poor service from ebay actually.

I'm sure there is probably a set procedure you need to follow to get the return postage and possibly you didn't follow it, but nevertheless, ebay plus does say you can return items for any reason, so change of mind shouldn't be an issue.

You have proof that the item was returned because the seller issued you a full refund. If you have proof of postage paid-maybe the receipt etc, then contacting the ebay reps and being able to show that proof should have seen them fix up the problem for you and refund.

I've made mistakes before on other websites. i once used the wrong coupon (a really expensive one) to order a cheap album and I had no trouble ringing up the reps and they swapped numbers for me. I have had reps open an order to allow me to make an alteration. In other words, reps are there to help you fix mistakes and to trouble shoot. Sometimes mistakes can't be fixed or it can be too late, but if it can be fixed, it should be.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply