Eligibility Requirements for PayPal Buyer Protection

The other day I received an email from PayPal about updates to the user agreement, in which it said that the eligibility requirements for Buyer Protection have been updated. The link didn't explain what the updates were as far as I could tell, just explained the fee system for PayPal POS.

So, I've looked over the eligibility requirements in the user agreement, and if I'm not mistaken I think the new requirements are these:

S10.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

k. You have not sent the item back to the seller without our direction to do so;

l. The seller has not provided valid Proof of Shipment in relation to an “item not received” claim.

k suggests that if you send an item back to a seller and later need to call on Buyer Protection, it will already be void even if you used a method that provides proof of postage - I can see that causing problems.

l. seems to be clarifying that a buyer is not eligible for buyer protection if the seller has proof of postage, rather than the slightly more ambiguous "may find in the seller's favour even if you did not receive the item". 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

well I for one has always thought it a bleeding rip off for sellers who have to pay refunds for INR claims, when it was obvious to blind Freddie in a dark room that the item was indeed posted, whether it was regular post or registered post. (now, sign on delivery)

somewhere along the line, the Postal Service has to start taking responsibility for loosing our stuff!  Grrr

It cant always be in favour of the buyer.......

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I looked at it this morning and found this on the policy update link (you need to select the policy update before you select the country) number 5 and 6 amendments

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?country.x=AU

We have deleted clause S10.1.C.iii. under the heading “Eligibility” of the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy.

We have deleted clause S10.1.c.iv. under the heading “Eligibility” of the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy

and replaced it with:

“iii. The “Send Money” tab choosing “Goods or services” on our website or mobile app,”

10.1 You may be eligible for the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy if all the following requirements are met:

1. You use PayPal as your payment method;

2. Your payment is less than $20,000;

3. Your payment is not a Personal Transaction and is made through:

1. The “Checkout with PayPal” button or by otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a seller’s PayPal checkout flow;

2. An eBay “Pay Now” button or an eBay invoice,

3. The “Send Money” button of your account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay, or

4. The “Send Money” tab on our website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

and  there is also an alteration in the PDS

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/cfsgpds-full?country.x=AU#16_Key_risks

We have replaced the first dot point under the heading “Our right to hold funds” under clause 16.2 to:

“You authorise us to make any Reversals, refunds or payments from the held funds in accordance with our User Agreement. You will not be able to access any funds subject to a hold.”

(currently is)
16.2 Account hold, limitation or closure: We may place a hold on funds received into your account and limit your ability to send or transfer funds from it. This may occur for a variety of reasons, including:

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Ah, ok. Thanks for that. 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply