Falsely advertising free postage

I want to buy a piece of furniture from an eBay store and the listing says "free shipping is available to Canberra".  The listing also has a postage calculator so I put in my post code but it is saying that shipping will be in excess of $100.00.  I then also tried about 5 other post codes in Canberra and all of them say the same thing.  I contacted the seller by email and then actually spoke to them on the phone and he said that they would not do free shipping and the listing was wrong.  Five days later I am looking at the listing again and the 'mistake' has not been fixed. 

I am wondering if you guys think it would be worth my while to buy it and then fight him on the postage because the ad definitely says free?  I can't find eBay policies relating to stuff like this.  As far as I'm aware, normally if something is advertised the seller has to give you what the ad says even if it is incorrect?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

chezzy
Community Member

Does it actually say in the description in the seller's own words that shipping to Canberra is free....or is it one of these pick up/free postage listing 'glitches'?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Hello Lauren,

Firstly, seller doesn't have to supply you anything - no one can force them to sell it to you.

They'll refund your money and that'll be the end of it.

Free post that you see in furniture listings is only there due to the glitch when pick up only is the choice.

But please don't buy it if you are counting on it being posted for free, no matter how much you "hold" the seller to it.

If you can't pick up, or it's too far or whatever, just offer them courier transport cost - but most likely you'll have to organise it.

Good luck with it.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I think that they are saying that if you want to get your own ute and pick it up, shipping is free.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Were you, perchance, using a phone or tablet at the time? Apparently pick up only will show as 'free' postage if using the app.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply