Faulty Goods - Seller not responding

Hi,

I have a problem with a seller who kept promising to send me a replacement for a faulty item ( an anti-barking dog collar that broke within days of purchase). It never arrived, despite numerous assurances, and now he/she does not respond to emails. Of course, the 30 day repacement guarantee is well and truly passed. I am unable to post negative feedback, possibly because the 30 days has expired. There is no purchase history in my account, so I'm guessing this is why.

I paid with my Visa credit card, not PayPal. Can you advise me whether I can get a refund? 

Very frustrating. I feel this seller has a high rating only because he/she does this all the time, seeming to be reasonable and compliant but hoping the customer will give up and go away.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

you might be able to do a chargeback via your bank
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I'm guessing you bought from a Chinese seller. Never ever let a Chinese seller send a replacement. They never do. Opt for the refund. You can always buy from someone else. I would also suggest that if you plan on buying from Chinese sellers, always use PayPal. That way if you are strung along that the MBG expires, you have 180 days to make a claim with PayPal. You can pay with your credit card via PayPal for that extra protection.

The money back guarantee lasts for 30 days after the last estimate date that eBay puts in the listing. If you are not having any luck with a seller, open a dispute. Never close a dispute until you either have the item or a refund. Don't let a seller convince you that you have to close the case to get a refund/replacement. Once it's closed you can't reopen it.

All you can really do now is as suggested, a chargeback from the bank, but you'd better do it soon because there are time limits there. If the item has disappeared from your purchase history then it's more than 60 days, so you should get onto it asap.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

@annetthil_8 wrote:

Hi,

I have a problem with a seller who kept promising to send me a replacement for a faulty item ( an anti-barking dog collar that broke within days of purchase). It never arrived, despite numerous assurances, and now he/she does not respond to emails. Of course, the 30 day repacement guarantee is well and truly passed. I am unable to post negative feedback, possibly because the 30 days has expired. There is no purchase history in my account, so I'm guessing this is why.

I paid with my Visa credit card, not PayPal. Can you advise me whether I can get a refund? 

Very frustrating. I feel this seller has a high rating only because he/she does this all the time, seeming to be reasonable and compliant but hoping the customer will give up and go away.

Any advice?

You can't get a refund via ebay or paypal, no, because you didn't pay via paypal.

The visa card chargeback is your only option now.

Just for the future: Always pay via paypal. If you buy something and a seller says their paypal account is down, could you pay via visa, say nope, you'll wait till they get their paypal account working again.

Don't let them bluff you as they can't do anything to you. If they try an unpaid dispute, you ring ebay and ask them to look at the messages.

Insist on only paying via paypal, that way you have some ebay/paypal protection.

As for your purchase record. It only shows about 60 days but have a close look at it, there should be a drop down menu, from memory, where you can change the 60 days to 2017 or 2016 etc and look back a lot further.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you, I have taken your advice on board. Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to respond - much appreciated.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks, I will try that. Much appreciated.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you for your help. I'll get onto it. Much appreciated.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

No worries.

Smiley Happy

I feel for you as I know how cheated you feel when you pay and then don't get what you were promised.

Back in the days before paypal, that happened to me a couple of times. Plus another time I went to pay via paypal & it would not go through. The seller told me it was having glitches, could I pay into her bank account. She was very chatty, had responded to every message & i had bought from her before (via paypal) so I thought she must be a reliable seller so I did. That was the last I ever heard from her of course. Never saw that money again or the goods.

I don't suppose it was a fortune I lost that time (about $40) but I hate scammers. Lesson learnt-no working paypal, no pay.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply