Fed up with eBay voucher conditions

First there were two vouchers.....

$5 off if you join eBay Plus, and

15% off your purchase, up to 5 tranactions

They both expire on 17 Apr (unless eBay closes them down sooner of course).

I'm not interested in joining eBay Plus but when I discovered the second offer, that night I placed an order and got the discount.

I decided the next day to use the voucher again......only to find all my potential eligible purchases now only worked with a new Afterpay voucher expiring 14 Apr.  Arrggh.  I don't want afterpay because I don't need afterpay.  Potential purchases would not work with the 15% off voucher.

I hoped that once the afterpay voucher expired I could use the 15% off one.  No such luck!  All possible purchases are now linked to the eBay Plus voucher.

Honestly what's the point of advertising an eBay 15% off voucher that closes on 17 Apr (same closing date as eBay Plus one) if customers can't use it?

I'd love to say what I think of eBay at the moment (it's been AGES since I've seen a voucher I could use) but the Mods wouldn't allow it.  Grrrrrr!!!!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I read in the news  this morning that Afterpay seems to have taken some sort of a massive beating. I'm not really a numbers person, but it didn't look good from what I could make out. I certainly wouldn't be joining up with them!

I wonder if too many people are doing what they are told, and paying their debt off on time, meaning they pay no interest? I expect that their income would come from those that default, where they'd be paying big interest.

$5 off if you join ebay plus? I regularly get $5 vouchers thrown at me if It's been awhile since I've bought anything. I certainly wouldn't be joining ebay plus to get one!

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I don't think there is any eBay voucher offer that would entice me to join eBay Plus.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

I don't think there is any eBay voucher offer that would entice me to join eBay Plus.

That made me laugh. My thoughts exactly. Even when it was a $50 voucher which covered the whole cost, I wasn't tempted.

Plain fact is, it doesn't cover enough of the items where postage is required. Not the ones I am interested in, in any case.

I have noticed a similar thing with some ebay vouchers. A while back I saw a voucher. Can't recall if it was for $5 or 5% off or what exactly. But I have a couple of identical things in my watch list. A mikasa plate. I would sort of like it but not desperate and probably don't need it if we are truthful. But you know how it is, you see something and think, 'That's nice'. 

I was quite excited with my voucher till I discovered it only applied to the dearer version of the plate. Even with the discount it still came out dearer than the second ad i have saved. I couldn't use it on that ad.

If ebay wants to subsidise a voucher, I'd prefer it to be across the board on whatever I want to buy (Over a certain price, I understand that).

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Same for me. Most of the sellers I buy from don't use eBay Plus anyway, as they are small sellers who sell vintage items. I have never bothered to even start the trial.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

Same for me. Most of the sellers I buy from don't use eBay Plus anyway, as they are small sellers who sell vintage items. I have never bothered to even start the trial.

I have noticed an interesting thing (well, interesting for me at least). I used to be in something called club catch, which was similar to ebay plus but cost $70 a year. I strongly suspect it is where ebay got the idea to be honest.

The difference was club catch applied pretty much across the board on most products so I used to calculate how much postage I would have paid and always, being in it put me  well ahead.

Then they changed it so you could join for just one month at a time, it didn't automatically renew each month. It was $7 a month to do that, but excellent in eg Dec.

Now it is $40 a year. That's cheaper than ebay plus!

The reason it has gone down (again only my suspicion) is like on ebay, a lot of goods now  already have free postage.

People have to see a benefit before they join something.

And ebay vouchers, if ebay is going to issue them, need to be widely applicable otherwise people will get cynical.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply